The Sandbox

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Maybe time for a renewal of the old thread.....

IMG_8659 2.jpg Last fall I broadcasted a NWSG mix with some added switch and Indian grass. It looks like all weeds to me.

I see creeping Charlie in a few spots and also what I think is called Hoary Alysum.

I put the push lawn mower on high and clipped it.

Was that the right thing to do?

Should I be spot spraying the Creeping Charlie with roundup?

Some places I am getting some grass growth. I'm not sure if it id NWSG or not. Probably some is "not".
IMG_8662 nwsg.jpg

This attempted NWSG seeding is adjacent to the cottonwood thicket that I cut back two winters ago.

IMG_8661 2.jpg

When we had more deer, this cottonwood thicket used to hold a doe and fawn.

IMG_8664 2.jpg

There is a small trail (sidewalk as Steve calls it) of clover between the cottonwood thicket and the 25 year old spruce planting. The clover was seeded with a bit of rye and oats.

To the south of the cottonwoods is a foodplot that was planted with corn and beans before all of the rain started. Just a small amount has emerged on the lightest soil on one end.

Will it be a complete failure?

IMG_8665 2.jpg

Adjacent to the cottonwoods on the west end.

IMG_8666 2.jpg

About time you have a thread started up here Art!

Thanks for the pics. Keep them coming!

Cool, I always enjoy seeing pics from the sandbox

Seeing weeds takeover where something else was planted is such a kick in the teeth. I've been there done that, never planted NWSG and probably never will but that hurts man! Did you not spray everything that was green before seeding this area or were you trying to avoid that?

Seeing weeds takeover where something else was planted is such a kick in the teeth. I've been there done that, never planted NWSG and probably never will but that hurts man! Did you not spray everything that was green before seeding this area or were you trying to avoid that?
I sprayed with round up about three times during the summer before planting. Spot sprayed a fourth time.

A few bur oaks sprouted in the attempted NWSG seeding.IMG_8670 bur oak in NWSG.jpg

A few bur oaks sprouted in the attempted NWSG seeding

At least your NWSG planting isn't a total loss. Nic to see pics of the "sandbox" thanks.

IMG_8674 2.jpg
My neighbor, the real farmer, says my corn/bean foodplot is an 80% failure. The seed rotted except on two sand hills.
The same area flooded out as it did last spring.

I decided to try a strip of sugar beets along the edge of the failed foodplot. I added some pel lime and chicken manure before planting.

I imagine most of the failed foodplot area will be oats/rye/radish by fall.

Being I am on a roll of failures, here is a surviving Morse hybrid oak that has been in the ground for about 10 plus years. I think the other ten or eleven died.IMG_8667 Morse hybrid oak-10 years old.jpg

It died back this winter and is again about knee high.

We sawe a doe in the meadow beyond the apple trees today. Perhaps we do have a fawn or two on the sandbox.

IMG_8672 2.jpg

Good to hear you're seeing some deer. Keep the faith - food & cover. The deer will find the safe havens. Really enjoy the pix from the sandbox. Nice looking country you've got there.

View attachment 786
My neighbor, the real farmer, says my corn/bean foodplot is an 80% failure. The seed rotted except on two sand hills.
The same area flooded out as it did last spring.

I decided to try a strip of sugar beets along the edge of the failed foodplot. I added some pel lime and chicken manure before planting.

I imagine most of the failed foodplot area will be oats/rye/radish by fall.

I t was water right up to the edge of the beet planting after this weekends rainfall.

Pears- I am about ready to give up on them. I did plant two Usurrian pears this spring.

However domestic pears look like this-fireblight?IMG_8685.JPG IMG_8686.JPG
The other domestic pear looks like this. Too wet or winter die back?