The other fruit is ripe

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Getting my first home grown paw paws this year. Love the flavor. Two trees producing and I had about 15 total paw paws. Hoping for larger crops as the trees mature. Both trees about head high and been in the ground around 6 years.

Is paw-paw taste similar to anything? ............ other than chicken? :)

Is paw-paw taste similar to anything? ............ other than chicken? :)

LOL, only chicken.... No, the texture resembles a banana, but its more moist. If it resembles anything else it might be a mush melon, but I like paw paw and don't care that much for mush melon.

I thought it was a potato when I saw the picture. LOLLL.

WTF is a paw paw?? Thats a new one for me.

Is it sweet ? Tart ? Seedy ? Don't have 'em in Pa. either. I don't know what a mush melon is either !! Watermelon - cantaloupe - honeydew ......... I've had all those.

Is it sweet ? Tart ? Seedy ? Don't have 'em in Pa. either. I don't know what a mush melon is either !! Watermelon - cantaloupe - honeydew ......... I've had all those.

Very sweet and kind of creamy. They do have big seed, but some of the named cultivars have fewer seed and better taste.

The one in the picture is the "Sunflower" cultivar. The earlier paw paw I grew is one they named "Mango." I couldn't tell a lot of difference in the two.

You big liars, I don't have an Paw Paw here but J-bird sent me some, good gracious, why would anyone want to eat them things? LOL...

He told me to wait until they turned black as thats when they are ripe (for his area?) so I did, tasted a bit fermented, soft texture but goodness me, no thanks.

I am gonna see if I can grow some though.

There are some paw paws growing on the Cornell campus. When I visited in late September last year, they were not ripe yet. I was planning to go up soon to check on them. It may be tough to get to them with the heavy rain we got last night and will get over the next week. Good chance they are flooded right now.

I have a number of paw paw trees growing here in southcentral Pa that I planted. They are an "acquired" taste that I haven't acquired :D. They do disappear from under the trees when they fall, probably ate by raccoons, possums, etc.
8-5-11%20020_zpsdf27ueyv.jpg

8-29-11%20019_zpsrygq4hgj.jpg

You big liars, I don't have an Paw Paw here but J-bird sent me some, good gracious, why would anyone want to eat them things? LOL...

He told me to wait until they turned black as thats when they are ripe (for his area?) so I did, tasted a bit fermented, soft texture but goodness me, no thanks.

I am gonna see if I can grow some though.

LOL, remember that paw paws are like apples when it comes to taste - think of your favorite grafted variety of apple and compare the taste of that to the average wild one. There will be a big difference in taste.

I have a number of paw paw trees growing here in southcentral Pa that I planted. They are an "acquired" taste that I haven't acquired :D. They do disappear from under the trees when they fall, probably ate by raccoons, possums, etc.
8-5-11%20020_zpsdf27ueyv.jpg

8-29-11%20019_zpsrygq4hgj.jpg

Those are some very nice sized paw paws.

I don't know, I think paw paws can cause cancer....

Then again I seen recently so can tooth paste. maybe we should just not touch anything? :)

Grey - You're the first one I've ever heard of mention paw-paws in Pa. !! Up where I grew up in the northern tier, I never even heard the word spoken. Maybe they only grow ( wild ) in the southern half of Pa. ?? I know the southern counties have tree varieties that are non-existent in the northern tier. Do you have any NATIVE paw-paws ??

Grey - You're the first one I've ever heard of mention paw-paws in Pa. !! Up where I grew up in the northern tier, I never even heard the word spoken. Maybe they only grow ( wild ) in the southern half of Pa. ?? I know the southern counties have tree varieties that are non-existent in the northern tier. Do you have any NATIVE paw-paws ??

I have found wild ones along a stream in southern Fulton County.

I was out for an adventure with my 3.5 year old daughter this morning in Ithaca NY. We visited a little area on the Cornell campus that has paw paw trees along the creek. Last year the fruit were not ripe on about 9/20 and I did not get back up there. This is the first time I visited this year and 2 trees were still holding fruit on 10/10. Not sure if others had fruit that ripened and dropped already. The fruit still on these trees were firm and did not seem that ripe yet. I collected some for seeds to grow. Some of the paw paws have yellow leaves but the ones with fruit still had green leaves. My daughter had her boots and got to play in the creek for a while. The tree tubes in the one photo look to be direct seeded hickory or walnut trees.

Then we stopped by the Cornell Orchard store for apples and pears. Bought 1/2 pecks of Snapdragon and Shikuza and a handful of Seckel and Harrow Sweet pears. Liked the Snapdragon. The Shikuza was just sweet and I did not like it much. The Seckel were fall apart juicy ripe. I prefer a firm pear but my daughter thought the Seckel was "Tasty and Yummy".
3yearold holding paw paw leaf.jpg young paw paw trees.jpg paw paws on tree.jpg paw paw collected 10-10-2015.jpg