Fruit as a destination source, kill plot, staging???

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
In regards to getting opportunities at mature bucks, how do you go about ot set up? I've heard it everywhich way. Do you set up fruit trees as part of your destination plot? Do you put them in a staging plot or corridor plot leading to larger food source? Do you carve small kill plots with fruit say in-between bedding? Is there too much of a good thing when it comes to fruit trees, do you only want one primary food source of fruit? From a hunting standpoint what's the go to reccomendation for fruit tree placement?

I'm working on a new piece and have an abundance of various fruit trees, probably 30 to 35 to be planted. The property has a large unplanted destination field and has long broken up hayfields from west to east that all can support fruit across 100 acres. I'm trying to decide if I want one source, a couple sources, couple major sources with additional kill plots, etc....

Whats your reccomendations for whitetail attraction and mature buck harvest? What works best from trial an error?

Screenshot_20230220-180936_onX Hunt.jpg

I don't know. I don't have any mature bucks around here. ;-(

I have quite a few apples over a few acres. I have shot two mature bucks and passed another. Two were cruising around the apples the other was breading a doe in the apples. For me the apples keep all the does close.

Get the does in a reliable spot, then the bucks likely to go by downwind. I'd have earlier dropping apples in a spot you can get within bow range. Then have another spot with later dropping apples for rife season. Or, just have the late dropping apples further out.

Nothing wrong with 2 spots, you might have a vistior that needs a spot, or got busted on the one stand last time......

I would not exclusively use fruit, I think food plots are better. They more reliable producers each year. Apple trees can be biennial, apple trees can have odd frosts that loose a crop, Animals can permanetnly destroy years of hard work on apple trees.

Try a few different rootstocks and apple varieties before you plant your entire collection of trees.

I'm planning on running some form of cereal grains mix for food. Do you guys subscribe to longer more narrow plots if it's possible rather than a big open destination.

I grabbed a skeleton plan from Bartyllas group, it was solid but have to upgrade to get the nitty gritty details. I think the maps above will be close to how I set up plots. Once I'm in Ohio for good I can hunt the appropriate winds on the right conditions where for the next 7 years I'm hanging and hunting on multiple properties losing my mind.

If you make a narrow plot just make sure it gets enough sun. The sun is much lower in the sky when these cereals are planted and if it’s always in the shade you won’t get good growth. North /South is good for longer narrow plots. Right around 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre makes a good kill plot. destination plots need to hold a lot of food and 3-5 acres or more is good there. I’ve never worried much about shape although some do. I think most important is how you and the deer access the area.

If you make a narrow plot just make sure it gets enough sun. The sun is much lower in the sky when these cereals are planted and if it’s always in the shade you won’t get good growth. North /South is good for longer narrow plots. Right around 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre makes a good kill plot. destination plots need to hold a lot of food and 3-5 acres or more is good there. I’ve never worried much about shape although some do. I think most important is how you and the deer access the area.
I'm glad you mentioned this, I was thinking 20 to 30 yards wide at the widest but the screen could shade it out. I will likely make it snake like with varying widths, tighter at stand sites etc

Another tip so to speak. I’ve found that although a lot of deer use the plots, a lot of deer go around them. Especially bucks. I always cut a deer trail using hinging about 20 yards off the plot on a preferred side of the plot. Stands should cover both the plot and the trail.