The old cereal rye growing in bed of pickup….

Hippies eat that stuff..................

Looks ready to make some shine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was rag doll testing some of my winter wheat from the day I mowed it a couple weeks back. I forgot it on my coffee table for a week at the cabin. I came back 5 days later and found this. No sun or soil, just the bag and paper towel. I think I'm gonna have some volunteer wheat. It went 23 for 25.

cat.PNG

Just because it germinates doesnt mean it will grow. Wheat or rye at that stage in 90 degree weather and no rain for two weeks is a gonner.
There's none of that business up by me anymore this year. I'm expecting to see our low temps starting to break into the 40s soon. It's peak cereal growing weather right now by me. I ran some GDD numbers just now, and I may have hit it just perfectly this year. That is of course if we get normal temps. If it's 70/50 In November instead of 40/20 that all goes out the window.

There's a nifty calculator if you wanna work your cereals planting date backwards.

Just because it germinates doesnt mean it will grow. Wheat or rye at that stage in 90 degree weather and no rain for two weeks is a gonner.

That's why we wait until 1st/2nd week of September to broadcast. Cooler temps and more reliable rain.

I wait until the first week of October - cooler temps, maybe still dry - and army worms are gone. Army worms almost a sure thing if planting right now

My heavy clay soil destroys winter rye plantings. Sure it will germinate but if those tender new roots don’t find moisture it will not survive let alone thrive. I put down a few hundred pounds 5 days ago because we had rain in the forecast for 4 days. We received the rain but nothing in the forecast for almost 10 days with 90 degree highs in the forecast. I can all but guarantee none of that rye will survive. My soil flat out sucks and makes me want to stop habitat work all together. I drilled the rye and it still more likely than not won’t make it.

There's none of that business up by me anymore this year. I'm expecting to see our low temps starting to break into the 40s soon. It's peak cereal growing weather right now by me. I ran some GDD numbers just now, and I may have hit it just perfectly this year. That is of course if we get normal temps. If it's 70/50 In November instead of 40/20 that all goes out the window.

There's a nifty calculator if you wanna work your cereals planting date backwards.

I don’t get it. The tool that is

I don’t get it. The tool that is

You can look up last year's heat units as a guide to what may happen this year. Not perfect, but it'll get ya close. I ran the 2021 dates of August 5th - September 30th, and then counted the units. I think I came up with around 1700. I don't know what the heat units are for my forage cereal, so I'm winging it. I'm using spring wheat as a guide, and assuming mine is about 10-20% longer than spring wheat. I'm aiming for at least 1400, 1700 would be perfect, and if I shoot all the way off the end, I'll still have something.

If I go to far this year, i'll chop off another ten days next year and try again.

1661398867490.png

My heavy clay soil destroys winter rye plantings. Sure it will germinate but if those tender new roots don’t find moisture it will not survive let alone thrive. I put down a few hundred pounds 5 days ago because we had rain in the forecast for 4 days. We received the rain but nothing in the forecast for almost 10 days with 90 degree highs in the forecast. I can all but guarantee none of that rye will survive. My soil flat out sucks and makes me want to stop habitat work all together. I drilled the rye and it still more likely than not won’t make it.

Same on my ground. Broadcasted rye just doesn't seem to take.

I planted rye last August, it came up, and then no rain for 2 months, and it died and never came up, so I do understand. This spring my plots were all weeds. It was the first year I had to spray, and lightly disc since about 3- 5 years ago.

I was rag doll testing some of my winter wheat from the day I mowed it a couple weeks back. I forgot it on my coffee table for a week at the cabin. I came back 5 days later and found this. No sun or soil, just the bag and paper towel. I think I'm gonna have some volunteer wheat. It went 23 for 25.

View attachment 45540
Looks like Bob was wishing it was catnip..

I planted rye last August, it came up, and then no rain for 2 months, and it died and never came up, so I do understand. This spring my plots were all weeds. It was the first year I had to spray, and lightly disc since about 3- 5 years ago.
August seems extremely late or early depending on if this was meant to be a spring of fall planting?? Why did you choose to plant in August?

I always plant rye in August in NW Wisconsin. Rye to me is the deer hunters best friend, at least in NW Wis. It is green well into December even under a foot of snow. Then in the Spring its the first green thing, even before clover. Then it grows tall, suppresses weeds and provides for some fawn c over. Then finally when it heads out and when I roll it I get more free seed and a thick layer of mulch for my next fall crop of either brassica's or releasing clover I planted with the Rye. That's my 2 cents but it works really great for me being in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin.

Chuck

Looks like Bob was wishing it was catnip..
Yeah, he shot right over to that when we got there. There was a leaf sticking out of the bag and he gobbled it right up.