The Grafting Binge Continues

Rally - It's not unusual to have a couple day wait for a response from Cummins - or any nursery - as they are generally pretty busy. Maybe on vacation this time of year ?? Sometimes I get a response the same day, sometimes 2, 3, or 4 days later. But I've ALWAYS gotten a response.

Rally - It's not unusual to have a couple day wait for a response from Cummins - or any nursery - as they are generally pretty busy. Maybe on vacation this time of year ?? Sometimes I get a response the same day, sometimes 2, 3, or 4 days later. But I've ALWAYS gotten a response.

I did it through their website, so maybe it takes longer that way. I'll hold out for a few more days, and then I'll email them again.

Interesting discussion on what happens when you have a large number of trees producing heavily down the road. I am going to be in the same boat as I have planted a huge number of trees. My current strategy is making the majority of my trees late hangers, especially the crabs I've been topworking. The worst time for food by far on my place is winter, so I figure if I can extend the acorn/corn fattening up period with some apples dropping in Dec-Mar, that will be the most beneficial. I will still have apples dropping starting late July, just not many. Plus, the yellowjackets shouldn't cause much trouble when there is snow on the ground. If it ever gets to the point where an abundance of trees is ruining the hunting, you can always get out the chainsaw, which is much easier to do if the tree is a $1 root with a free scion. Most of the "protection" cost is reusable.

I would agree with you deepsleep, my general direction with the large number of trees is more late hanging crabs than actual apples. The apples I will have will be mostly disease resistant. someday there might be a few centralized orchards that i spray to get some apples for humans, but right now i'm not even thinking about that. It's just about getting the trees established, I will worry about too much fruit later.

I did it through their website, so maybe it takes longer that way. I'll hold out for a few more days, and then I'll email them again.
I emailed with no response so I called Alan's number and he said he would add B118 to my order. He made it sound like they were waiting to see how many are left before they put them back up on the site.