All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The boys are out strutting

As soon as they do - that area will turn into grand central station! Hard to access areas always have the best hunting because they are hard to get to.

I would tend to agree j-bird, but in this instance, the extra access would be primarily used by fishermen to access the Class 1 trout stream and I would suppose deer hunters, as it would make retrieval of downed deer more accessible. There were so many trout fishermen out this past weekend, I thought WI changed the date of the opener and I missed it somehow. Darn near a car(or 2) at every stream crossing and parking area. Come to find out when I stopped to ask a couple guys, they were all just fishing the early catch and release season.o_O:confused: I told them no thanks, I had turkeys to kill(hopefully).;)

Sorry guys, no happy hunter pics for this season.:( Skunked. Had birds coming in this morning even though the weather was nasty. We set up about 70 yards north of where the birds wanted to enter the field.:mad: :(I think the wind(or the hens) kept them from cresting the hill on the logging road far enough to see our decoys in the field. We heard them right there below the hill and when we went to move on them we got busted.:mad: My neighbor was in range, but being a newbie, he wasn't sure if he was close enough, so he chose not to shoot. Sort of on the bright side, he did get a running away shot at 2 jakes as we were walking back down the logging road to the vehicle. They shot across the trail about 30 yards ahead of us and he ran up to the spot and took a 35 yard shot at them heading up the hill. When I got up to where he shot they were still running through the open oaks about 85 yards up the ridge, so I'm guessing he shot low, as they were going up a very steep slope when he shot and I'm not sure he adjusted his point of aim above it when he fired. Oh well, we had fun, and since he is moving to Fort Atkinson next week, I was at least glad I could introduce him to our fine sport of hunting deer and turkeys.

Sorry guys, no happy hunter pics for this season.:( Skunked. Had birds coming in this morning even though the weather was nasty. We set up about 70 yards north of where the birds wanted to enter the field.:mad: :(I think the wind(or the hens) kept them from cresting the hill on the logging road far enough to see our decoys in the field. We heard them right there below the hill and when we went to move on them we got busted.:mad: My neighbor was in range, but being a newbie, he wasn't sure if he was close enough, so he chose not to shoot. Sort of on the bright side, he did get a running away shot at 2 jakes as we were walking back down the logging road to the vehicle. They shot across the trail about 30 yards ahead of us and he ran up to the spot and took a 35 yard shot at them heading up the hill. When I got up to where he shot they were still running through the open oaks about 85 yards up the ridge, so I'm guessing he shot low, as they were going up a very steep slope when he shot and I'm not sure he adjusted his point of aim above it when he fired. Oh well, we had fun, and since he is moving to Fort Atkinson next week, I was at least glad I could introduce him to our fine sport of hunting deer and turkeys.

Sounds like you had a fun week even though you didn't get a bird. This 1st season was one of the harder turkey hunts I have had. I knew there were plenty of birds around they just were so tight lipped by me. Hope you are able to get out on your later season.