All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"The 30" Plan

shawnv

5 year old buck +
As you read below, here is what is going to happen on my 30 acres if it works out to keep it. It's beeb a learning experience already and will be into the future so I thought I would start this thread to share it with you. Feel free to point out anything I may not have considered or any comments you have.

1) The mile out view...

Larger outline = 30 acres
Smaller outline = In-Law's home and 10 acres.
Yellow boxes = Home's or cabin

*Neighbor to the East has a ridge running West to East behind their house. It tapers into my place and everything else around it pretty flat except where the old railroad grade runs from West to East just North of the pond and current food plot.

Augusta2_zpsc3c4d412.jpg
;

Close up of the 40 as it is now the way my dad left it before his passing in July. The 1/2 acre food plot is the North Central location with 1/2 dozen apple trees around it. Feathered edge with briers, shrubs and red pine to the East of the plot. Another Acre+ is cut out on the North East corner. Has some doe bedding and the bucks will bed here close to the rut. Scatted doe bedding South of the Pond and in the far West side. Almost all buck bedding is on another property, primarily the Swamp that runs from the NW to the NE a 1/2 mile away. The Central potion of the property is a mix of mature trees and 2-4" diameter oaks so the forest floor is open, this is the buffer zone from the activity at the house and the 10 acres my in-law has.

Augusta3_zpsa637c1f6.jpg

The zoomed out plan...

While my Dad's set up was good to keep the activity away from the neighbors who hunt to the North, East and West (Only the North Side has bow hunting pressure) It was not set up to have bucks living there. The does are bedding on the edge of the property or way off so it's rare to see a buck bedding there.

The timber area where the access trails cut through is an area where you can get in and out of without bumping deer since the bedding is North, East and West. The 1/2 acre plot in the past was always clover but this year I planted 2/3rds of it in the LC mix and it was hammered. The lesson was that that mix was more attractive and that I need more area in plots and that I need to plant 10-14 days earlier.

Until 10/20 the area saw very little mature buck activity but it picked up and I had a fair amount on camera or spotted on stand up until 11/19 because the plot was the central hub for five doe family groups to come and feed. Once gun season started, the mature bucks retreated to their core areas leaving some of the younger bucks and doe groups around.

One could argue that the buck activity was good enough where some might be happy with it but I think it could be so much better so that leads into the new plan. I had asked Steve about the property months ago and he was nice enough to spark some ideas for me to address. Due to pressure from the neighbors and the day to day activity from my in-law, bedding in the central area with plots and access on the edge will not work as he suggested.

What I have come up with after a full fall to hunt and observe the deer here is what you see below. I may not get the logger and dozer in when I want so if that happens to be delayed then it will will hunt in 2015 just as it had in 2014 and we'll get things started right after gun season.

Legend:

Off White = Cleat cut or Hinge cut area
Light Green = Food Plots
Dark Green Dots = Spruce tree planting
Brown lines = Access trail
White lines = Main deer trails
Red dots = Stand locations

Old Railroad grade runs West to East and North of the pond and current food plot. The three North Stand locations are located right on the grade.

*I will also be adding more apple trees along the new larger plot.
*The NW plot will be a tiny 15x15 clover plot
*The West plot will be 1/2 clover 1/2 LC mix.
*The little plot line leading from the spruce planting to the main plot will be clover
*The main plot will be buckwheat early summer and LC in the fall. I may fence 1/3 of it to hold soybeans until the last week in October and then remove the fencing.
*The clear cut will be on the West side and I may add a couple pockets of Spruce there too.

Augusta1_zps5b8b3293.jpg

The zoomed in plan...

Off White = Cleat cut or Hinge cut area
Light Green = Food Plots
Dark Green Dots = Spruce tree planting
Brown lines = Access trail
White box = Buffer area where there is little deer activity
Red dots = Stand locations

Augusta4_zps6ac3c9ef.jpg

A few bucks of the bucks from the property this fall....

In this one you can see how pounded the plot was.

PICT0005_zpsa16829bf.jpg

A few weeks earlier (bad camera date)

MFDC0558_zps5e4ef400.jpg

PICT0201_zpsef430573.jpg

PICT0165_zps164901af.jpg

PICT0065_zps6662dcd5.jpg

PICT0043_zps43c3099d.jpg

PICT0004_zpsda487bd9.jpg

And lastly the one my daughter shot.

katedeer2014_zpsb2beeae8.jpg

I wonder if that will hurt the long term property value or if being this is right between two plants that they are going to be eyeballing this property.

Congrats to your daughter! That looks like a great place.

If it were me and I wanted to sell, I would probably develop access that was on the property. It might be a non-issue for you, but a potential buyer will need access. Access off the road (culvert, driveway, gate?) and an access trail skirting the inlaw's boundary to 'get back to' the meat of the property. Of course, if I were going to keep it, I wouldn't make it easier for any ne'er-do-wells to get in there, so I wouldn't do any of that at all! Haha!

How does the mine being 1.5 mile from you make you feel? I have one about 4 miles from me & I don't even know it's there. Congrats to your girl.

Well if I want to sell I have a buyer in waiting, all I have to do is make the call so I really don't have to change anything but I'm sure they would make some simple access trail.

Well there is a large mine 3.75 miles from me and it hasn't bothered me at all for hunting but I am reserving judgement about the air and water quality. I know this 30 has the same sand as what they are mining so now I wonder if my buyer see's this as a spot the mining operations would want to buy out for thousands more per acre.

What's the reason for shifting the main food plot to the east?

The idea is that I could have the plot smack dab between two larger bedding areas and allow the does to bed closer to the food source leaving room for a buck to bed on the back side. I could possible do same with the current design and by cutting the area where the new plot would be but that makes my two plots much closer together and I'm not sure I want that.

Oh ok. Not sure I would be up for that amount of work for what I see as a minimal change in overall design. I think I'd build around it rather than rebuild it.

Oh ok. Not sure I would be up for that amount of work for what I see as a minimal change in overall design. I think I'd build around it rather than rebuild it.

I know what you mean and that has been an internal debate of mine the last couple of months. I think the amount of work would equal out as I the logger would be clearing the new plot and dozing it out. By moving the plot East it would provide a large bedding are to the West of the plot which is lacking right now. Maybe I'll think more on an alternative option too, thanks!

Bedding to the west will help the huntability of that plot with the prevailing west and northwest winds.

Maybe you could save half the old plot and add half the proposed plot for a long skinny vs a square. Conifers could go in north half of both areas.

Nice bucks for skippy

Maybe you could save half the old plot and add half the proposed plot for a long skinny vs a square. Conifers could go in north half of both areas.

Nice bucks for skippy

Hmmm, that is not something I have considered but maybe I'll have to draw something up with that idea. I could then cut along the rest of the railroad grade to provide bedding on the high ground.

Looks like a nice property. Best advice I can give is make your property different than the neighbors. More food, different cover, etc...