Tent recommendations??

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
Taking a big trip out west this summer. Gonna be staying at Yellowstone for 4 days and Grand Teton National Park for 2 days. I have campsites reserved at both. Now I need to buy a tent. I want to fit 2 queen air mattresses in the tent. Any recommendations on a good tent?? I'm thinking ideal size would be 9x12 or 10x12. Not looking for some big bulky $1,000 tent.

I have had a Cabelas Outfitters Dome for 20 years. They are a great tent for the money. Easy to set up. Comfortable. May be worth a look.

My old Sears....Ted Willaim's signature tent (canvas...argh) would be ideal for you. Mine was 10x12 and our family of four fit into it well.....even had a play-pen inside....and our Coleman catalytic heater at night. I bought it slightly used for $50.
(those were the days :) ).

In later years....I had a single pole Adirondac tent that was quite nice. Got it at Cabelas....I think. Nice rain fly and had means for a stove. I think it was 10x10 and was super light weight and easy to set up. My grandson now has it.

I am so out of date on tents.....but not out of memories. ;).

Taking a big trip out west this summer. Gonna be staying at Yellowstone for 4 days and Grand Teton National Park for 2 days. I have campsites reserved at both. Now I need to buy a tent. I want to fit 2 queen air mattresses in the tent. Any recommendations on a good tent?? I'm thinking ideal size would be 9x12 or 10x12. Not looking for some big bulky $1,000 tent.

Do you feel safe in a tent in grizzly country?

Maybe rent something to pull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve camped in Yellowstone. If you are in a campsite you are safe…mostly. One did do some damage one time up by soda butte but the odds are low!

I like full canvas tents, but only for fall and winter trips. Because most don’t have a floor to keep out creepy crawlers. In my opinion, all others are just cheaply made.

Yes I feel safe staying in the campgrounds (Bridge Bay in Yellowstone and Gros Ventre in Grand Teton). There will be hundreds of other tents at the places we are staying. Odds of getting attacked by a grizzly are very low. I know it happens, but I'm more concerned about getting into an accident or fender bender or thunderstorms. Thought about pulling something too, but I really dont want to deal with a trailer, especially in the mountains. Our campsite in Yellowstone sounds small. When I booked the guy was very adamant that the largest tent I could have is 12x12. By the time I booked a few months ago everything was pretty much already full.

Capture.PNGCaptured.PNG

Gypsy,

How much room does something like that take up in the truck bed? We are gonna be tight on space. I will have to call them this week and ask them about this tent size thing. They told me 12x12 was maximum I could have....

Gypsy,

How much room does something like that take up in the truck bed? We are gonna be tight on space. I will have to call them this week and ask them about this tent size thing. They told me 12x12 was maximum I could have....

It’s not bad for space. The link I sent has a picture of it rolled up in the carrier. The carrier was a PITA so I just roll it up on its own and it is slightly bulkier than the pics but not much.

They make a smaller version too, 10x10 I think. I did a lot of research before purchasing and I think those flex bow tents are the best thing going for comfort, convenience, and value. I had a stove jack sewed into mine and have a wood burning stove for heating it on late season elk hunts. I’ve stayed in it when lows were below zero.

Get a good tent that is bigger than you think so you can keep some belongings inside.I always carry a couple tarps, one big enough to cover and one to go under tent.