Tent Catapillars

Trapper LM

5 year old buck +
They will soon be out in force. Hit them soon with spray.

They are a pain. What triggers them, temperature? I'm probably north of you so I think I have a couple weeks before they show up.

They will soon be out in force. Hit them soon with spray.

Hey Trapper, What brand of spray do you use? I carry a couple cans of Spectracide Wasp and Hornet spray (from Walmart) on the ATV that does a nice job of killing the nest...:)

I had 2 tents on my 50 or so trees today. I sprayed all my trees that were not blooming and removed the two tents.

Hate them

If the tents are where I can easily get to them I just tear them down early in the morning when they are in the tents and just stomp them. No sprays needed.

Just did the same to a tent in a Profusion crab in my lawn. Size 10 Wolverine.

Ya'll wanna come stomp on 800 acres around my place? There's no manual method that'll work. I wish I could afford to spray the block. Crop dusting is really the only effective treatment, and you have to get your neighbors bugs too, or they'll migrate into the void you leave.

Nope! The stomping method only works where you have a FEW tents & you can get at 'em. Wouldn't wish thousands of tents on anyone. Jap. beetles are the biggest prob. on the fruit trees at our camp. We'll HAVE to spray for them! Good luck with your bugs.

Tents are a big nuisance for me, but haven't done much other than set back growth rates with their appetites. If I was counting on inches per year from my trees, they'd be a big problem. Since I'm along for the ride rather than a serious timber investor, I'm more upset with their poop slime falling from the sky than the leaves they've devoured creating it.

If I was suffering mortality, things would be different. Their poop slime is nasty none the less.

Hey Trapper, What brand of spray do you use? I carry a couple cans of Spectracide Wasp and Hornet spray (from Walmart) on the ATV that does a nice job of killing the nest...:)

Malathion.
Malathion