All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

temporary shelters

*Hawaii5joe*

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have these canvass style shelters that you can park cars, boats, tractors etc? You can get them at Fleet Farm, Menards, or Northern tool. I am thinking of buying one for our deer camp. most of us have campers or ice houses we sleep in, but I was thinking of getting one of these so there is a common meeting place for all of our crew. get a heater going in there, a flat grill for breakfast, crock pots, card tables, coolers. Our camp has lacked camaraderie the last few years. plus my tractor will not have to sit outside all winter. thanks

Last edited:
Is there a brand that is better then others? I would rather pay a lil more for a better one.

Good idea! 4 of us hunted for years out of a wall tent. Stacked cots during the day and did all of our cooking and hanging out in there. Great memories!!

Try and find a military GP tent. They're about the same cost and much sturdier.

Another option would be a quonset hut out of corrugated steel you can buy at Menards. They have white and green in various lengths in stock.

Sounds like our grouse camp set up.

a714c8f33fb47898417f41b73c83db40.jpg

6ea269116cae428f77dc2581ce3ff30b.jpg

5a5a8dec2561c5da94b190da2660f85c.jpg

d0de17926c19ae0127e0e22c22772213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that an Old fashion ?

Awesome setup Brad!
We have come a long way. Really long.

I don't anything about them Joe, but I like your idea for promoting camaraderie
Thanks stu! It's been rough the last few years. A few family members stay in a hotel, my Bro in law and I stay in my camper,my dad drives back and forth to his cabin in Zimmerman, and my cousin and uncle stay in their ice house closer to the road from where my campsite is set up.

Really like this camp set up

It's a canvas tent from Davis tent. And a cheap a frame from menards.

The canvas tent we have a wood stove. Throw some outdoor carpeting down. Bam. Camp is made.

We could not be happier with that canvas tent. They are not cheap. But worth it. We stay cozy anything above zero.

I think that 15'x18' tent was about 750 bucks if I remember. Plus stove.

Try and find a military GP tent. They're about the same cost and much sturdier.

Another option would be a quonset hut out of corrugated steel you can buy at Menards. They have white and green in various lengths in stock.
I checked into a "new" GP and ones on C.L. Maybe a bit more then I want to spend. This way I can keep some equipment out of the sun and snow too. I never thought of a Quonset hut though.

It's a canvas tent from Davis tent. And a cheap a frame from menards.

The canvas tent we have a wood stove. Throw some outdoor carpeting down. Bam. Camp is made.

We could not be happier with that canvas tent. They are not cheap. But worth it. We stay cozy anything above zero.

I think that 15'x18' tent was about 750 bucks if I remember. Plus stove.

Has that tent leaked water. A friend bought one from the army surplus store and complained it really leaked. They brought it back. He said the thing was like new, but maybe sat on the shelf for 25+ years???? Maybe it lost its ability to shed some water???

Has that tent leaked water. A friend bought one from the army surplus store and complained it really leaked. They brought it back. He said the thing was like new, but maybe sat on the shelf for 25+ years???? Maybe it lost its ability to shed some water???

Only the first time. Which they warned us about because the fibers need to bond and shrink or whatever.

We got over 0.75" Thursday and not a drop inside. Davis makes a quality tent. We just sat inside and played cards with a nice fire going. Dry and cozy

Does anyone have these canvass style shelters that you can park cars, boats, tractors etc? You can get them at Fleet Farm, Menards, or Northern tool. I am thinking of buying one for our deer camp. most of us have campers or ice houses we sleep in, but I was thinking of getting one of these so there is a common meeting place for all of our crew. get a heater going in there, a flat grill for breakfast, crock pots, card tables, coolers. Our camp has lacked camaraderie the last few years. plus my tractor will not have to sit outside all winter. thanks
I bought a shelterlogic tarp/shed from Fleet Farm to store stuff at my property. It lasted 4 yrs and it's now ripped to shreds from a windstorm. I would stay away from the tarp material and go with a much heavier material but I wouldn't leave it up year round. Anything left out in the elements seems to eventually break down or leak in time.

Of course! Brandy old fashions. Some sheepshead. Wisconsin at its finest.

Make mine whiskey & poker :)

Buying "ready-made" isn't cheap, but if you framed up a skeleton and skinned it, I think you could get 'er done for under $500 for a decent size hut.

You might be able to loot the scratch and dent steel and make out. Baxter Menards is overflowing with clearance steel panels. Other stores might have similar issues and snow is coming. Yard boss might take some loose coin just to make it go.

I bought a shelterlogic tarp/shed from Fleet Farm to store stuff at my property. It lasted 4 yrs and it's now ripped to shreds from a windstorm. I would stay away from the tarp material and go with a much heavier material but I wouldn't leave it up year round. Anything left out in the elements seems to eventually break down or leak in time.
Thanks Riggs... The one I was considering was a shelter logic and is on sale at Menards for 397 this week. I'm in a windy field so I think it's best I save up enough $$$ so I can do something where I won't loose my money in 4 years. I had a camper cover that cost me 500 and it made it about. 3 years before it shredded. I'll start looking into other ideas.

I actually know a couple who had turned a large quonset hut into their primary residence back in Juneau Co. They have been living in it for many years and are very happy with it given the few modifications they have done to it so it would be more "homey".