All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperatures for newly grafted trees.

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Whats the best source of information on this. My rootstock from cummins will be here today and my other order will be here the next week. So lets say i've grafted all these by 4/5 (I don't want the rootstock that'll be here tomorrow to sit to long in their box so i'll probably graft them and put them in a bucket before 4/1), lets say on the weekend of 4/18 its still looking to project night time temps around freezing, 30-35 degrees. Though daytime temps are 45-55 by then with sun.

How long can these newly grafted rootstocks sit in a moist sawdust or moss bath until they need to be exposed to the elements?

I was just going to leave them in a dark room of my house that stays in the mid 50s to low 60s for a few weeks, I assume this is ok. Then put them in the garage when its 35+ at night and put them in the sun a few hours a day for a week and then bring them to the spots i'm planting them in and go to work.

I was just going to leave them in a dark room of my house that stays in the mid 50s to low 60s for a few weeks, I assume this is ok. Then put them in the garage when its 35+ at night and put them in the sun a few hours a day for a week and then bring them to the spots i'm planting them in and go to work.

More than a couple of weeks at 50-60 degrees and they will be trying to grow. NH Mountains has it right. Best after a couple of weeks to get them down below 40 degrees until you can plant them outside once the threat of frost is gone. Gradually acclimate them to temperature and sunlight before planting.

Just graft them and you won't have to worry. My rootstocks not grafted yet are in buckets around 45 to 50. Will do those when I get from Crazy Ed

The coldest room in my house is 63 in the basement, could very 2-3 degrees i'm sure as the temps change outside as I have a wood burner outside for heat. I'm sure this is ok just wanted to clarify that with you gents.

Also our local TSC put their trees out for sale today, outside, and its gonna be single digits on Friday night, yikes! (some of which are leafed out and have flowers blooming)

That's probably ok for roots. You want them to start sending nutrients to the scions as quickly as possible. I would wait to plant outside until mid May so you may need an interim container between now and then. I put mine in rootrappers but 3 gallon plastic containers should be ok also