Tall plastic pots

Robert799

A good 3 year old buck
Where do I buy the the tall plastic pots for deep root seeds like paw paw and persimmons!

Where do I buy the the tall plastic pots for deep root seeds like paw paw and persimmons!

A smooth plastic pot would need to be very tall to avoid j-hooking or circling with trees with a fast growing tap root. I used a root pruning container system for both pawpaws. I started with RootMaker 18s express trays then transplanted to 1 gal Rootbuilder IIs and finally to 3 gal Rootbuilder IIs before planting them in the field.

The other option is direct seeding. I would avoid the smooth sided pots.

The root pruning system works great in my area, but in a arid region with a low water table, direct seeding is a better option. A root pruning container system will air prune (trap, or constrict) the roots after about 4" or so of growth. This stimulates secondary and tertiary root production. You end up with a very dense efficient rootball. This means the root system can uptake more nutrients sooner for faster top growth as well. This approach trades off access to deep water for faster growth.

I bought my containers from RootMaker directly. There are lots of other sources. I have not found anything better and more convenient than the 18s for the first stage. For later stages, there are other root pruning container designs that can work well for less money.

Thanks,

Jack

largedpots.jpg

Deepots

Some of these can also be found in small quantities on eBay.

I made something like this once, grew the best persimmon and sawtooth I've ever planted. What I did was use construction paper that I rolled into 2in diameter tubes, stuck them into a 5 gallon bucket (on end), filled them with soil, then planted the seeds. At the end of summer I use a posthole digger to make holes deep enough and planted them. The construction paper was pretty destroyed by then but I was able to plant seedlings that had zero root damage, and do it at a proper depth. It worked very well.

largedpots.jpg

Deepots

Some of these can also be found in small quantities on eBay.
Ive got 25 of these in the garage from bur oaks I planted. Dobt know what shipping would cost but I would give them to someone.

I'd go with Catscratch's idea.
Those tall pots are often referred to as nut tree pots.

Thanks guys...appreciate the responses!!

Ive got 25 of these in the garage from bur oaks I planted. Dobt know what shipping would cost but I would give them to someone.
I’d take about 10 of them if you figure out the shipping. Or all these f you want to get rid of them. Just let me know and I can drop a check in the mail. Robert

If any of these are still available I'll take them for some chestnuts. Let me know if available and how much $$$ for shipping. Thanks.

Another material you could consider for constructing your own growing tubes is blue Walmart bags. In a pinch last year, I got some, cut them up into the sizes I needed and then used a regular paper stapler on them. The roots of the seedlings that grew in them air pruned nicely. Mine weren't tube shaped, so I can't speak to that, but the material held up well.

I’d take about 10 of them if you figure out the shipping. Or all these f you want to get rid of them. Just let me know and I can drop a check in the mail. Robert
I had just burned cardboard so I am keeping my eye out for a box. This is the size.
20200112_111632.jpg

Another material you could consider for constructing your own growing tubes is blue Walmart bags. In a pinch last year, I got some, cut them up into the sizes I needed and then used a regular paper stapler on them. The roots of the seedlings that grew in them air pruned nicely. Mine weren't tube shaped, so I can't speak to that, but the material held up well.

.......and they are 50 cents/bag

bill

Last year I had chestnut seedlings in 2.5x2.5x10 zipset plant bands - basically cardboard milk jugs with the bottom cut out. They were way healthier than the seedlings in deep pots.

If you only need 10 just start saving your cardboard milk or half and half containers. They easily last the growing season.

Another option I want to try is 4 inch perforated drain tile. Cut to any length you want, the perforating may work for air pruning, fairly cheap, easy to cut. I would like to try some 2-3 foot sections to see if i can keep the tap root. Use my gas post hole digger and see what happens.

I have been using tapered plastic tree pots 6" square by 16" Stuewe and Sons - Im happy with them. 4" square by 15" for smaller shrubs.

Another idea for a long pot that has worked well is to make it from aluminum window screen. Make them long as you want but be aware that they present a challenge to watering as they dry out pretty quick. A big plus with these is that they act as an air pruner for any laterals that happen to meet the mesh. No circling at all. When time to plant just tear out the staples holding the seam and unwrap it.

Last year I had chestnut seedlings in 2.5x2.5x10 zipset plant bands - basically cardboard milk jugs with the bottom cut out. They were way healthier than the seedlings in deep pots.

If you only need 10 just start saving your cardboard milk or half and half containers. They easily last the growing season.

Oakseeds has described similar methods with 1/2 gal and 1 gal milk containers for acorns

bill

I had just burned cardboard so I am keeping my eye out for a box. This is the size.
I have 100 of these in the 10" deep size. The bonus for me is that I can plant seedlings directly in the ground or 1 gal pots with my plug planting tool