Swamp chestnut oak seedlings

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
I've checked numerous nurseries in several states and can't find any available for delivery this winter. I'm in need of 450. If anyone knows of a nursery kinda close to SW TN so shipping ain't crazy please let me know. I've checked TN, N MS, N GA, and MO so am gonna have to find other options.

Thanks for the assist,
BW

Boll Weevil, if you're referencing Quercus michauxii (what we in the south call Swamp Chestnut white oak) have you tried searching for sale by the scientific name? See quite a few nurseries advertising them though no idea if they're all out -- guessing you've been calling them all and that's the case?

I've got a couple of small stands of them on my place and could get you acorns in future years when they produce well. Haven't seen many this year when I've pulled camera cards from spots near the trees. In very heavy mast years, though, I have no problem picking up a fair number of viable acorns.

Would also add I've had some luck digging up VERY small saplings -- as you very likely know, taproots grow super quickly so it's only been ones with extremely small top growth we've tried relocating. Had a friend in South Carolina who visited and wanted several. He dug up a few, took them home in extra old pots I had, quickly planted them, and they've grown well.

Don't know if you could get 450 or not but if you've got any burning desire to stomp around in water moccassin and rattlensake rich swampy woods to dig some up, you're welcome to do so at my place just outside Tallahassee if you want to make a big road trip.

wholesael to the trade, you might be able to order/ setup an account. Great people.

Thanks y’all. I paid $0.43 per seedling for the others I just purchased so $2-4 per from Nativ and TWG is completely out of the question. I’ll keep looking and if you come across some please let me know. At this point I’d take just straight white oak but those have been hard to find too.

My dad has bought cypress trees from Cypress Brake Tree Farm in north Louisiana. I don’t know if they have swamp chestnut, but here is listing for them and also a few other possible sources to try. While trying to find a web site for Cypress Brake, I did find this national nursery listing that may give you a few more places to call also.

It isn’t any of my business, but what are you doing with 450 seedlings of the same species?

It isn’t any of my business, but what are you doing with 450 seedlings of the same species?
I've got a block of towering over-mature bottomland hardwood timber that likely canopied several decades ago. There's zero understory...clean as a highway in there...so I want to get the next generation of timber started before pulling some of those logs out. 450 seedlings each: yellow poplar, cherrybark oak, eastern red oak, mulberry, and if I can find'em...white oak.

Thanks very much for the links...will certainly check them out.