Sunscald ???

greyphase

5 year old buck +
The only tree in the orchard that I've noticed this on. Sunscald ?
Picture from the southwest side.
001_zpsy1yycfwg.jpg

Picture from the north east side.
008_zpsdynvsnjl.jpg

It's about 4 feet up the trunk on a Junaluska grafted on B118 planted in the fall of 2014.

I think I have that on some of my Asian pear trees but never knew what it was. I will have to check my apple trees as well

Do you notice any under the window screen? I hope my double or quadruple layers of window screen will shade the trunk enough to prevent his.

I have read where it is recommended to leave a lower limb on the Sw side to shade the trunk (from people in northern Mn. )... or leave some weeds around the trunk.

Do you notice any under the window screen? I hope my double or quadruple layers of window screen will shade the trunk enough to prevent his.

I have read where it is recommended to leave a lower limb on the Sw side to shade the trunk (from people in northern Mn. )... or leave some weeds around the trunk.

None under the screen. This was about 4 foot up the trunk.

Hey Rick, i'm not sure if that is Sunscauld but it doesnt look healthy, thats for sure. I thought i was having some issues with sunscauld at my farm when I found this (below).
CameraZOOM-20150822122644819.jpg

I ended up going around and painting all my trunks white, just to try and avoid it. My plan now is every tree that gets planted will get a good coat that will hopefully help it through the first 3-5 establishment years or more.

CameraZOOM-20150822123930131.jpg

I didn't had a screen on my pear so that wasn't the issue. The tree is growing fine

I've had sunscald evident but luckily the trees seemed to recover fine, this time. SLN recommends painting the trunks with white like Ed shows. I've been meaning to do that just haven't gotten around to it yet.