Still Fawns with Spots?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I pulled cams this weekend and saw 3 different fawns with spots. Seems late for these guys.

1659963773356.png

Last edited:
I have some with spots yet as well. But I will usually have some with spots into bow hunting season as well.

Zone 6A I have fawns with spots into October every year.

I see a few Fawns with spots into October even this far North as well.

It is all location dependent. On occasion I can still discern spots on fawn during our October archery season.

I see a couple every year bow hunting Waushara county. We saw one during rifle in Marquette a couple of years ago.

We will still see one or two with spots come mid September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen them in december,the biologist said it's just hair and unless they are really small and young they are probably normal age

I had a pair of what I thought to be twins cross in front of me last week one with spots one without. Possibly two different mothers but I saw no adults with them. I also had one jump out of some sumac I was broadcast spraying about 5 feet in front of the tractor Saturday it was still all spotted up.

Depends on where you are. Hell, we still have pregnant nannies that haven't dropped yet here in SC.

Mine usually have spots till Labor Day.

Still a bunch of white on em here in PA.

deer1.jpg

They lose their spots when they start shedding their summer coats and grow the hollow hair coats for winter. Usually by October up north. The last spots to go seem to be in a line on each side of the spine. I see a few with these faded lines of spots each bow season If they walk under my trees stand.

They lose their spots when they start shedding their summer coats and grow the hollow hair coats for winter. Usually by October up north. The last spots to go seem to be in a line on each side of the spine. I see a few with these faded lines of spots each bow season If they walk under my trees stand.
Saw my first fawn on camera yesterday

This was from last year on Sept 27. Latest I've ever seen here. A couple years ago I saw one in WV that had spots in November. Doubt that one made it.

I__00022.JPG

I just finished checking SD cards. I didn't think about this thread so I deleted everything that wasn't a buck but I had pictures of 3 does (different parts of the property) that were clearly still pregnant.

Got a pic of this one yesterday on 9/29. Still spots on it's hind end although it appears to be a good size fawns. I have a lot smaller running around for sure.

I asked a deer biologist one time about that because I had seen a fawn with spots in nov but it was regular size.The way he put it was it's only hair some fawns lose the white hair at different times than others.I am sure some of them if real small are late but the others just haven't shed yet.