Sticker Shock

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
I usually get my soybean seed from NWTF chapter but this year they weren't available, So I went to co-op where I get my fertilizer. $65.00 per bag + tax.

45-60 is about the going rate to buy RR2 beans for the farm.

Is a bag 1 bushel? (32lbs)

Is a bag 1 bushel? (32lbs)

A bushel of beans is 60 lb of beans. A bushel of corn is 56 lb of corn.

Most beans are sold in 140,000 seeds/bags. Corn is sold in 80,000 seeds/bag. Weights and size of each are all over the place. I had a bag of RR2 beans that we used on our plot and it was close to 60#. Most I use on the farm in the past are closer to 40#. Seed is sorted and bagged by size. The exact same variety can have big seeds and little seeds. Some farmers want large seed, some what small, some want medium rounds, some want medium flats. It has to be bagged according to size so the farmers using vaccum planters can set the correct pressure.

And for the guys that dont like bags they can get their stuff in pro boxes or bulk and let an auger lift everything into the planter.

32# would be a bushel of oats.

And when you think of a bushel dont think of a bushel basket, think of weight. That is all that matters. A semi filled with 60# test weight corn will have way more bushels than a semi filled with 50# test weight corn.

Each year its getting slimmer at finding seed deals.

I am lucky enough to have some connections on seed. I just hope they keep producing.

I have 100 lbs of corn and 300 lbs of beans stockpiled for next year. I always keep more than enough for the following season if my supply chains all dry up unexpectedly.

A bushel of beans is 60 lb of beans. A bushel of corn is 56 lb of corn.

Most beans are sold in 140,000 seeds/bags. Corn is sold in 80,000 seeds/bag. Weights and size of each are all over the place. I had a bag of RR2 beans that we used on our plot and it was close to 60#. Most I use on the farm in the past are closer to 40#. Seed is sorted and bagged by size. The exact same variety can have big seeds and little seeds. Some farmers want large seed, some what small, some want medium rounds, some want medium flats. It has to be bagged according to size so the farmers using vaccum planters can set the correct pressure.

And for the guys that dont like bags they can get their stuff in pro boxes or bulk and let an auger lift everything into the planter.

32# would be a bushel of oats.

And when you think of a bushel dont think of a bushel basket, think of weight. That is all that matters. A semi filled with 60# test weight corn will have way more bushels than a semi filled with 50# test weight corn.

Oh man. What a brain fart. Yes I was thinking of oats......... Dua.

I cleaned out a corn planter saturday and was told to keep the seed if I wanted it - saved me over $175! Nothing quite like having a few connections.

I usually get my soybean seed from NWTF chapter but this year they weren't available, So I went to co-op where I get my fertilizer. $65.00 per bag + tax.
If you stop by a seed dealer after all the local farmers have planted their beans you can get some good deals. I've paid $20/bag the last few years.