stand entry and exit methods and experiences

W

wizard

What method do you use? I typically just walk but have always had a problem with sweating due to the distances, even though I carry my coveralls in with me. I know other guys that ride ATVs and some ride bicycles. Does anyone here ride a bike in? I'm curious what others think on the overall impact, whether a bike would leave less human scent or appear less threatening to a deer.

I walk, dress down as much as I can walking in.

I walk from the house to my stands. Don't own a ATV/UTV. I like to clear leaves and debris from my paths to quiet my travels and love to use creek beds if I can. Not sure why but sounds seems to travel so much further when it's dark - I know that isn't true but it seems that way. I have heard of people using bicycles before as well - it would be faster and put less scent on the ground and potentially even quieter.

We walk and/or ride an electric golf cart. I like the cart....as it's quieter, faster, less sweat, less odor......and I'm a little lazy. The deer do not seem to react to the cart.....I've watched them watch us just drive by.

We walk and/or ride an electric golf cart. I like the cart....as it's quieter, faster, less sweat, less odor......and I'm a little lazy. The deer do not seem to react to the cart.....I've watched them watch us just drive by.
Foggy I am thinking about getting a golf cart for one of our properties where access is a little tricky. May I ask where you got your golf cart? What special modifications are needed etc...?

Foggy I am thinking about getting a golf cart for one of our properties where access is a little tricky. May I ask where you got your golf cart? What special modifications are needed etc...?
I'll add, is there a way to make them so they will go through 6-8" of snow. Can you convert to 4 wheel drive or maybe just buy a bad boy buggy?

Typically just walk.

We do have some food plots that we'll have someone drive you to so you can be dropped off or picked up, especially at dark. Always amazed how you'll kick deer off a food plot with a truck and they'll be back on the food plot ten minutes after they see the truck leave.

My goal is to never surprise the deer on my place. If I can't sneak in without them seeing hearing or smelling me, I will drive as long as I am not blowing deer out of the plots with the vehicle.

Had this discussion at deer camp. Some seem to think driving in is best even into back woods. Spread less scent and get right to stand. Deer seem to just watch vehicles and see them as less of a danger. Others thought walking is best to sneak in and should be less noise. I usually walk in. With a vehicle it seems like a lot of noise to be made right at the stand when i would want to be the most quiet.

Last edited:
I would be concerned with deer patterning you if you always drove your ATV in. Sure they may just watch you but you loose the suprise factor. JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be concerned with deer patterning you if you always drove your ATV in. ure they may just watch you but you loose the suprise factor. JMHO.

There are times for both. Drive through areas you would surprise them by walking, and walk through spots that offers proper access/exit without detection.

Stay out of everywhere else except for 1 or 2 times a year. Most years I never hunt my 'best spots' because I can not get in and out without turing the whole piece nocturnal. Does not take much intrusion to ruin even the best properties.

Last edited by a moderator:

I bought an EZ Go cart from an ad off CL. Mine is a PDS model built in 2002. I've had it about 5 years or so.....and paid $2000 for it. When I got it I immediately lifted the cart, put on bigger wheels and tires, put in lights, and HD springs in the back, as well as a "flip-flop" rear seat. I can haul four people on mine.

I did nothing to improve the cables or motor or controller. I did put in a chip that can alter from torque mode to speed mode by just a jumper switch. My controller really should be changed as it does get hot with long periods of slow travel.....and will force me to let it cool for a few minutes from time to time. But has never left me stranded.

I got most of the upgrades from "buggies unlimited" and most everything is plug and play. I really should have a better controller and battery cables to eliminate problems (?).

I beeive I have about $3000 total invested in it....plus my labor. It does go thru snow pretty well.....and I think I have driven thru about 4 to 5 inches on level ground.

If I were doing this again......I would look for a Club Car as they have more voltage and are better made carts IMO. Nothing wrong with the one I got.....but I believe the 48 volt system used by CC is better and more powerful.

I think you can add 4WD to them....but that may be beyond my ability or needs......so I never looked into it.

BTW......I have a friend that has a golf cart. He has done zero mods to his.....and he gets along fine. You don't need to do anything....but I like the clearance of lifting the cart.

I walk in. I have taken the ATV a few time but mostly walk.

Natty where do you board that Westover?

Yeah, exactly!

The other idea I had was from Hogan's Heroes....have an underground tunnel network to my stands that I get to by lifting up the dog coop and popping out of a treestump at the base of my stand.

I have about .75 of a mile walk to my favorite spot. I usually drive half way and walk the rest. Most of my plots are on the front of the property so I pretty much gave up morning hunts because I always bump deer. That was not a problem this year. When I did hunt mornings I would drive down the road and try to access behind the deer.

I'll add, is there a way to make them so they will go through 6-8" of snow. Can you convert to 4 wheel drive or maybe just buy a bad boy buggy?

They do go thru quite a bit of snow if you have grippy tires on them and enough clearance. 8" of wet heavy snow is not likely.....but 4" happens all the time. I've read that some guys have made 4WD conversions but I've got a UTV and ATV if the snow gets too deep......or we need to walk (which has not been a problem so far).

Freeborn.....You will have to drive my machine in snow at the land tour. I normally have a few out-of-the-way spots to stash the cart.....and most are within 50-200 yards of my stand.

We use the cart all summer to get around on our land and for projects.

I walk. I usually rake out the "final" approach to stands in order to keep noise down next to nothing in the direct vicinity of the stand.