Spring planted acorns

L

LoessHillsArcher

We've all done/read about fall planted acorns, anyone ever had to direct plant them in the spring? I've got a ton of acorns, more than I'll be able to plant in the fall and more than enough to fill my rootmaker trays. I can't bring myself to throw them away so I was thinking about storing them in the fridge and planting some in the spring. Seemed like it'd work but can't say I've heard of anyone doing this?

Spring planting should work fine, I would protect them or mass plant or you end up feeding the varmits :)

I remember seeing Bill Winke from Midwest Whitetail doing an episode about direct seeding in the spring over a tilled bed by just broadcasting. I sure would try to find a way to cover them though.

Thanks Paul! Will definitely tube them all and make sure to keep the weeds down

Deer and turkey will eat every acorn you broadcast. I've broadcasted well over 100 pounds of a acorns, and have about a dozen trees to show for it.
My best luck has been planting them with a little rig I made. If you have deer and turkeys I strongly suggest not broadcasting.

Of course, we'd never just broadcast. These would be hand planted with a small trowel, planted 1" deep and 2 or three per hole. Then a tube over the top and residual herbicides to keep weeds down and rodent away (hopefully anyway)

Of course, we'd never just broadcast. These would be hand planted with a small trowel, planted 1" deep and 2 or three per hole. Then a tube over the top and residual herbicides to keep weeds down and rodent away (hopefully anyway)

Should work very well Jordan

We've all done/read about fall planted acorns, anyone ever had to direct plant them in the spring? I've got a ton of acorns, more than I'll be able to plant in the fall and more than enough to fill my rootmaker trays. I can't bring myself to throw them away so I was thinking about storing them in the fridge and planting some in the spring. Seemed like it'd work but can't say I've heard of anyone doing this?

I have direct planted tons ( a bit of a stretch ... well, lots) of white oak acorns in the spring; in fact, other than straight white oaks (that germinate easily and quickly in the fall allowing for good tap root development) I prefer to direct seed other white oaks in the spring as early as April 15 ... you'll have good growth and a hardened-off tree by the following November.

we did this a few years ago. We had a 5 gal bucket of water oak acorns and i flaged a row for my little boy and he used a hand trowel and planted the whole row. Its funny because his older brother was helping me plant 3gal container oaks and younger brother wanted no part of that.
He kept begging me to let him plant the acorns so i flaged a row and told him to get after it.lol
It's all the way on back of our property ,but sometimes we go check on "Prestons trees"