Spring: How Far Along In Your Area?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Here's the report from SE South Dakota:

A few farmers have started working their fields between Sioux Falls and Sioux City. Saw people mowing their lawns in Sioux City yesterday. Most deciduous trees are budding out and some are already pushing out nickel sized leaves. Haven't seen any planters yet.

What's going on in your area?

Just started seeing leaves opening yesterday on our marsh walk, other than that, lots of bud swelling of almost everything else. By this time next week it should be starting to get pretty green.

Our soil is like a slushy 7" down. You can get a shovel about 9", but it's very cold to the touch at 5".

Farmers are working their fields, but there's no bud swell on anything here.

Mowed my grass yesterday, woods are full of flowers and the soft wood trees (boxelder and buckeye) are sporting leaves now. House is open right now to get some fresh air in the house and will be standing at the grill in a pair of shorts and a T shirt here in a few!

Here's a pic from a different thread I took yesterday...still lots of snow. I went for a ride on my snowmoble yesterday. I'm still weeks away from getting out on the land.

IMG_1701_zpsjfbzwpui.jpg

Frost is out on south slopes, but only 2 inches to frost in others. It might be time to plant potatoes.

Oas is going in on sandy/irrigated acres.

Had a bear come through the neighbor's pasture this morning, pretty good sized one from my limited sightings of them. Is early to mid April the "normal" time for them to wake up?
Sounds about right.

How much rain did you guys get yesterday?

1/100th of an inch overnight here. Go figure since I planted cuttings this weekend. No rain in the forecast until next week :(

How much rain did you guys get yesterday?

According to farmlogs.com we got about 0.3 inches at our house in McLeod county and .2 inches up in Carlton county. It seems pretty spotty based on the radar though, should really get a rain gauge to test that website.

^^^zero here

Wow, based on the radar I would have thought there was some in your area.

We were down in NW Iowa for Easter and there were leaves opening on trees down there. Could see a tinge of green in some woodlots and some field work was started. My in-laws were hoping to start planting corn around April 15th.

Started to notice some leaves opening on a few trees around town yesterday where I live in Mcleod county. Probably at least 2 more weeks for the place in Carlton county. We'll see how things look up there this coming weekend.

I saw from my camera.....that the ice went out on Gull on Saturday Considering a trip back in ten days or so. The desert is in full bloom here. :) FORE !

.8" on Farm Logs and 1" in the actual rain gauge for my area. Nice part is that it soaked in nicely and haven't seen a lot of ponding. Things should really start to pop this week. Frogs started singing last night for the first time. Saw some feathers in the recently cleaned out wood duck box so hopefully we'll have some action in there. Bluebirds have also been spotted checking out the assortment of boxes to choose from.
Put cuttings in last weekend and prepping for tree orders to start coming.

Ice is out on Lower South Long.

Depending where I dig, I can go 12-20" to frost in a 100' radius. No rhyme or reason to it that I can tell.

I'm planting dolgo's today.

had a clump of frog eggs in my waterhole this AM when i went to pull soil samples. rye and clover are GREEN and up and going now. Lots of bud swelling but havent seen any leaves pushing on trees yet. day time high temps in the mid 60's for rest of the week from the looks of it....over night lows down to upper 30's and low 40's.

Rototilled the garden this afternoon. Couldn't have done that the last two April 13th's
I might get it done tomorrow, if the tiller starts. Maybe get taters in, plant some grafts on dolgo, move some of last years grafts from the garden.

too much to do and not enough daylight!

Our tiller fired up on the 2nd pull :) I've gotten better at winterizing stuff and only running non-ethanol gas in the small motors. In the tiller I probably won't use a full tank in a year, so I add Stabil right away in the spring. Come fall I add some more and run 'er dry.

Third pull for me and the taters are in.

There is still toomuch frost to plant my grafted apples.

I tried to plant willow and poplar cuttings again (3rd time) today...frost is still about an inch down in the creek bottom
same thing here.

I tried my hand at top working today. Is it too early to do that with the frost? The flowering crab you and I looked at has some pink showing, so I added some NWGreening to it.

Wow you guys are way ahead of me. Snow is finally 90% gone. Buds have not started at all. My lawn has a slight hint of fresh green. I only have this Saturday and next to pull stumps and get ready for my apples to go in last weekend in April.

Last week of April is when we'll prob. get our apples & crabs in too, Chummer. You've gotta be chomping at the bit to get started. Winter stays long up there. The buds at my camp in N. Pa. are swollen and red on the maples.