Spreader recommendations?

At least with seed, when attached to a UTV as the OP queries, I don't find volume a big advantage. Bags of seed can be kept in the UTV and added as needed to the hopper. No return trips to the barn are needed. I can see where volume is an advantage with fertilizer or lime when bought in bulk verses bagged. I typically don't use my broadcast spreader for either. I have enough acreage that I use a buggy from the coop designed for each. The only thing I use mine for is seed.

There is probably something to be said for ruggedness with a tow behind model. I know they make some pretty cheap junk for ATV and garden tractor use. I just choke on the cost as it would be more expensive and less precise than a Herd when installed on a UTV.

The tow-behind you linked is probably as rugged as the 3-pt Land pride I use. My issues with both is the lack of precision for small seed. As I say, I'm still using my land pride, but I'm restricted to including large seed WR as a carrier. This is usually not a problem.

Thanks,

Jack

I have used a big, beefy tow behind seeder when I worked for the Feds - and if using a tow behind and doing much work - it better be big and beefy - and probably expensive. They have shortcomings - like overseeding standing beans or tnm because most spread low to the ground.

I have used a big, beefy tow behind seeder when I worked for the Feds - and if using a tow behind and doing much work - it better be big and beefy - and probably expensive. They have shortcomings - like overseeding standing beans or tnm because most spread low to the ground.
This is precisely my biggest issue with a tow behind. I need to broadcast several feet off the ground to clear cover. The tractor mounted, PTO driven is the way to go, but then I’m not able to take it to my buddy’s farm and use without the tractor (his needs are planting clean fields where a ground driven or lower mounted spreader are fine). Granted I’ll probably just take the Woods and tractor over to do his so I can knock everything out in one pass.

Still looks like the Herd may be the best option for spreading small seed unless mixed with a carrier...which also doesn’t sound like a terrible idea (particularly the fertilizer idea).

Do you think you can accurately spread radishes in the same mix with the very small seeds, turnips, rape, clover, etc? Or will the gate have to be open too wide? Looks like I'll be attempting to seed ~350 ac with the ranger and Herd. Prevent plant farms that will need a cover crop. One or 2 places I think I may try and have the coop spread dry fert and spin oats on at the same time, then probably come back over the top with a few lbs of brassicas.

Do you think you can accurately spread radishes in the same mix with the very small seeds, turnips, rape, clover, etc? Or will the gate have to be open too wide? Looks like I'll be attempting to seed ~350 ac with the ranger and Herd. Prevent plant farms that will need a cover crop. One or 2 places I think I may try and have the coop spread dry fert and spin oats on at the same time, then probably come back over the top with a few lbs of brassicas.

I have been spreading PTT, GHR, DER, & clover as a mix in a chest spreader. Have not seen any noticeable issues. I shake the spreader and run my hand through it to keep seed from stratifying. If you are really concerned about exact lbs/acre of each seed, probably should spread separately ...