Spraying vs not spraying

If you don’t spray young trees around here the Japanese beetles will defoliate all the leaves and you’re giving up a lot of growing time.

I rely on beneficial insects to take care of any pests, and soil fungi to provide my trees with the minerals the need. So spraying with insecticides and fungicides would actually be harmful to my trees.

Healthy soil along with high levels of plant and insect diversity will allow your trees to defend themselves against insects and disease.

I rely on beneficial insects to take care of any pests, and soil fungi to provide my trees with the minerals the need. So spraying with insecticides and fungicides would actually be harmful to my trees.

Healthy soil along with high levels of plant and insect diversity will allow your trees to defend themselves against insects and disease.
Have you read Michael Phelps' books? The concept you mention is discussed throughout the fruit growing world, and has yet to be proven effective and/or repeatable. If it's working at your place, more power to you. I'd suggest you document your success and present it to NAFEX.

With gypsy moths (and now spotted laternflies) in this region I couldn’t possibly get a young apple tree to survive the first few years without spraying. Once they are 4-5 years old the equation changes quite a bit and they can survive environmental insults. But my young fruit trees truly require spraying to survive.

No reason to spray trees if they're strictly for wildlife. Also no reason to spend money on grafted trees if they're strictly for wildlife.

I've seen gypsy moth caterpillars totally defoliate decades old oak trees and tent caterpillars do the same on 50' tall aspens.

I haven't sprayed my trees yet... but would in a heartbeat if I felt I "had to" to save them. Tent caterpillars would certainly be one of those situations, just haven't had to yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had the tent caterpillars two years ago. That’s one reason why it blows my mind when people don’t spray and got great producing trees. I feel like I’m just unlucky to get all the pests and wondering how others don’t .