Spraying for insects on Sugarbeets

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I’ve noticed an orange colored lady bug/ beetle in my sugarbeets. Has anyone ever sprayed for insects on plots. I know sugarbeets aren’t considered a brassica, but if you ever sprayed brassicas for insects, what did you use? I have a good plot of beets and don’t want to lose them.

I’ve noticed an orange colored lady bug/ beetle in my sugarbeets. Has anyone ever sprayed for insects on plots. I know sugarbeets aren’t considered a brassica, but if you ever sprayed brassicas for insects, what did you use? I have a good plot of beets and don’t want to lose them.

Do you see damage? I thought ladybugs were helpful. If it has orange then maybe it is a harlequin bug??? I have been seeing more of those in the garden and they are pests. If you id the bug then it’s easier to pinpoint an effective control without killing off all the bugs with a blanket insecticide.

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/harlequin-bug-vegetables

Do you see damage? I thought ladybugs were helpful. If it has orange then maybe it is a harlequin bug??? I have been seeing more of those in the garden and they are pests. If you id the bug then it’s easier to pinpoint an effective control without killing off all the bugs with a blanket insecticide.

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/harlequin-bug-vegetables

This gets me thinking. My suger beet leafs dried out and turned brown late last summer early fall.

I just looked at them again today and don’t see any damage. I’ve done some research, it looks like Lorsban can be used depending on the target insect .

Frosted: it did look like that harlequin but I need to confirm it again. I’ll
Look again tomor .

Ladybugs eat aphids that can damage plants. You want ladybugs in your garden/foodplots. :emoji_wink:

Good to know. I wasn’t aware of that. I just hope they aren’t the harlequin

Was out checking the plots this afternoon took this picture on a soybean leaf. This is the ladybug larvae, at different stages, that eats plant sucking aphids....
IMG_1569.JPG

I just looked at them again today and don’t see any damage. I’ve done some research, it looks like Lorsban can be used depending on the target insect .

If you don’t see damage then easiest route is a watch and see.
I have never tried sugar beets. Are they much different to grow than garden beets?

Thx Sag for the pic. Frost: this is my first year planting SB. I’ve heard so much about them and wanted to give them a shot. They are RR. I don’t like the fact you got to plant them so early and add in insects invading the plot. I have the plot fenced off with the E-Fence. Unless they are a huge draw, I’ll stick with my 60/90 day brassicas .

Looking for a little more help. Can someone please confirm that the small bug located next to my index finger in Picture 1 is a ladybug? If it is not a ladybug, what is it?

In Picture 2, what are people's ideas of what insect likely caused this damage?

Picture 1
Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2
Picture 2.jpg

Yes, that is a ladybug ... it is not damaging your sugarbeets. If you can't see what is eating the leaves in the daylight, try inspecting the plants at night. The plants still look very healthy.