Sprayer prefilter?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Still had problems with my sprayer up at camp. Thought it was dissovled Ammonium sulfate pellets. However found out it's was some slimy goop in my older container of gly. Kept clogging the garden hose sized washer filter like washing machines use. I brought up 20 gallon of tap water from home with hurricane debby making the creek water so muddy.

I got a 1" hypro strainer with a 50 mesh screen I have attached to a 12v boat bilge pump. I use that to transfer creek water to the tank. It would work to the pump inlet with adapters, but seems overkill. Anybody find a nice like medicine jar bottle sized strainer body. Something with 4-5x the surface area of a strainer washer.

Any strainer is better than none, but seems a bit silly having one that small on a sprayer.

I have strainers at the jets. They showed some plugging, but still had plenty of holes left for flow.

I temporarily solved my problems by filling up 5 gallon water jugs back with the gly mix, then electrical tapped 2 layers of coffee filters to the jug. Had to drill a air hole on the bottom of the jug when I turned it upside down into the sprayer fill port.

I hear your Fimco pain. But won't be getting a tank bigger than 15 gallons. A bit surprised the pump is still chugging along happy. Got a spare incase it dies, got spare jets, spare hose, and spare clamps.

USed ot use a boat fuel line connector to switch between boom spayer and wand. It started leaking after about 5 years, Might buy new, might just swap via hose clamp.

May quit using AMS. No 100% sure if it was old gly or gunk left in the tank. Anybody not use AMS, or find it works better with it?

We use one of these on the sprayer. Slightly smaller version of your bilge strainer. Works great! You can get 50 mesh screen for it too I believe.

Edit: It’s not overkill if that’s what it takes to make it work!
d0829daadf7a6298753538e444405603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I
Still had problems with my sprayer up at camp. Thought it was dissovled Ammonium sulfate pellets. However found out it's was some slimy goop in my older container of gly. Kept clogging the garden hose sized washer filter like washing machines use. I brought up 20 gallon of tap water from home with hurricane debby making the creek water so muddy.

I got a 1" hypro strainer with a 50 mesh screen I have attached to a 12v boat bilge pump. I use that to transfer creek water to the tank. It would work to the pump inlet with adapters, but seems overkill. Anybody find a nice like medicine jar bottle sized strainer body. Something with 4-5x the surface area of a strainer washer.

Any strainer is better than none, but seems a bit silly having one that small on a sprayer.

I have strainers at the jets. They showed some plugging, but still had plenty of holes left for flow.

I temporarily solved my problems by filling up 5 gallon water jugs back with the gly mix, then electrical tapped 2 layers of coffee filters to the jug. Had to drill a air hole on the bottom of the jug when I turned it upside down into the sprayer fill port.

I hear your Fimco pain. But won't be getting a tank bigger than 15 gallons. A bit surprised the pump is still chugging along happy. Got a spare incase it dies, got spare jets, spare hose, and spare clamps.

USed ot use a boat fuel line connector to switch between boom spayer and wand. It started leaking after about 5 years, Might buy new, might just swap via hose clamp.

May quit using AMS. No 100% sure if it was old gly or gunk left in the tank. Anybody not use AMS, or find it works better with it?
I tried granular AMS once and swore it off forever. They do make a liquid AMS and you.can buy it from Keystone. Worth it IMO.

I

I tried granular AMS once and swore it off forever. They do make a liquid AMS and you.can buy it from Keystone. Worth it IMO.
Was it soluable granular? It comes both ways. Even with the soluable, I'll dissolve it in a bucket before adding to the sprayer. (Usually 4lb for 25 gallons)

Got to look what kind it was. Was the only one I could find a few years bac when I knew alot less. Either going liquid or skipping it all together. I'd put a small amount in the strainer basket over the 15 gallon tank, let it dissolve.

Found a garden hose inline strainer that I will try on the suction. Looks like I just discconect from the tank and add it there.