Sprayer options

Rakman

A good 3 year old buck
I’m purchasing a barely used L2501 from my father. I know 25hp is not going to do all I want for food plot and habitat purposes but this will be great for my small plots and some general work and maintenance around the farm and will be great to trailer should I end up with another parcel aways away.

I’ve never sprayed via tractor set up, always with 4 wheeler but it seems like the fimco rigs always crap out so im kicking around a sprayer for this tractor.

Please share thoughts and things i might ought consider regarding spraying via tractor. Thanks.

What tires?

I had a L3200 I sold it with my house. The ATV would be less damaging to a food plot when it's wet. Or if your are doing a selective herbicide spray.

I spray in the middle of nowhere. I have a spare 12vdc pump, keep some hose clamps, fuses, and spare nozzles. If my sprayer needed a part, It would be close to a 4 hour round trip up there. I have a little jar with me I can put a clogged nozzle and rinse it out.

I have a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so my rear mounted spray nozzle can swap to the wand at any time. close the valve to stop the 2 nozzles in the back and grab the wand for spot spraying.

A big help for me is a 12v boat bilge pump with one of these screens on it. I use a fine 50 mesh I believe. I get my water from the creek up at camp. At home I have a whole house filter.

You'll do just fine with the L2501. Might be a little low HP when brush hogging. Personally, I like finish mower for food plots than brush hogs. I'd be happier with a belly mower. Discs would be nice, but spring or S tine harrow work fine too with lower HP machinery.

The general consesnus here is no-till approach. but, to get to that point, you may need to correct soil pH significantly and level out the land and ditch rocks. R4 tire make great little cultipacker wheels.... Might want a tow or 3pt roller or cultipacker, but just the wide tires alone can make good progress in knocking down grass and rolling seed into soil.

Last edited:
IF you already have a ATV set up, do you really need a second one for this tractor? would be my first question here?
is your ATV set up a rack mount or a tow behind sprayer, if its a tow behind, you shoul;d be able to just pull with the tractor!

any sprayer can fail, so its always nice to have extra parts on hand, or use a rand that is sold near by so you can get parts faster if needed!
as for fimco sprayers being iffy?? I'd disagree!
I had mine for over 10+ problem free, years I will admit at about its 5 th yr I did mod it up a little went to a larger boom and pump to keep up easier, and that lasted problem free till I sold it, so I don't think I would call my fimco a BAD sprayer at all, and when I contacted the company, the folks there were extremely nice, even sent me some free sprayer tips
so I would even say there customer service was very good as well!
and thew two other fimco sprayers at camp have worked just fine and are still working fine!

I personally think that most folks that end up with sprayer issue's is, due to how there being used!
seems many that have issues are always running things dry and making a pump suck a lot of air which ends up with short pump life, or early fails, but there more due to running out of fluid to spray than brand issues!

I have a 50 gallon spray rig for my tractor and a 25 gallon rig for my 4 wheeler. I prefer the four wheeler rig. Easier to turn the four wheeler and easier to trailer.

Go to Northern Tool and buy 2 pumps. They will ask if you want the added warranty. It cost like $8.00 a pump. My pumps always go out with two years but I always have that spare on hand. Next time I’m around Northern Tool, I take in the defective pump, get a new one, they will charge me $8.00 for another warranty, and off I go. Haven’t paid for another pump in years.

I have a 55 gallon 3 pt boomless on my tractor and a 25 gal elec for my ranger. I much prefer to spray off my 28 hp JD. It turns much sharper than the rangers, carries twice as much water, sprays a 25 ft band through trees or brush, down trails, etc - and I have only had two clogged nozzles and replaced one pump in 18 years. My 25 gal fimco has had the wand replaced. It is leaking at several joints, the sprayer nozzles are much more prone to clogging, and it doesnt spray a very wide band. I still use it for small jobs, and if I want to spray and seed at the same time.

I run a 200 gallon 3 point sprayer and love it boomless and wand. Way to heavy for your tractor but I’m sure they make a smaller unit. PTO driven roller pump is the only way to go in my opinion for any amount of spraying.

Something similar to this.

This thread is headed in this direction anyway, so lets get started........

I much prefer a boomless (vs boom) delivery to my 55 gal PTO sprayer

bill

C88F5B04-44D8-460F-A3E9-E572083BA39F.jpeg

I have been doing this stuff for 44 years. I like a boom sprayer for row crops - but a boomless will work. A boom sprayer wont work in a lot of areas - like above. The downside to boomless is wind. For my money, if I only have one, it is a 3 pt boomless. But, a lot of us habitat managers work in some odd places. When the ground is soft, I spray with my 25 gal fimco boom sprayer out of my polaris ranger. I probably spray ten times the acreage with my 3 pt boomless

Rakman,

What are you spraying now? Any expansion plans in the future? Spot sprayer needs?