Spots on my apples…

AtomApple

5 year old buck +
Anyone know what these black spots are? I was thinking a mold or fungus, it scrubs off and looks real nice after… but it’s a lot of work.
0D06C186-00E4-4719-AADF-32CE08F80BBA.jpeg

Same apple after a good scrubbin’
B62C0AC9-3E28-4691-A8E1-CEE775068EC6.jpeg

Fly speck/sooty blotch

We boil down the peels and cores and then use the extracted juice to make jelly.
Apple has a natural pectin for making jelly.
so I wouldn’t want to be putting mold or fungus in there, for flavor or sanitary reasons.
A8ED8FBB-3656-4ED9-8361-D090EBB593B6.jpeg

If that pot is supposed to have a teflon coating, I'd get rid of it. Read up on PFAS and you'll understand why.

The big blotches are called "Sooty Blotch". Clusters of very small dots is called "Fly Spec". Both are caused by air-born fugal spores. They are both odorless and tasteless (at least to humans) and are evidence that the apple has successfully fought off the fugal attack, otherwise the fungi would have eaten through the skin. This also means that the apple skin has ant-fungal antibodies on it, which are good for human consumption (natural immune boosters).

My understanding is that almost all apples used to have sooty blotch/fly speck. With modern fungicides they are no longer present on most commercially available apples. Good luck convincing people that eating apples that look like that are "good for them". We've been conditioned to think that things that look like mold/fungus are bad for us.

Commercially grown apples are fairly fungal-free due to fungicides, but they are all washed with detergent and sprayed with wax to look perfectly shiny.

Anyone know what these black spots are? I was thinking a mold or fungus, it scrubs off and looks real nice after… but it’s a lot of work.
View attachment 59248
That aint black spots - this is black spot. I would love to have apples that looked as nice as yours

IMG_9594.jpeg

Walk through a commercial orchard under traditional spray management and look at the fruit. You won't find sooty blotch/fly speck.

Yellow and green apples can be scrubbed and scrubbed and you can still see the sooty blotch/fly speck. Dark red apples hide the remnants after washing much better.

Lots of old timers ate apples with a knife because they were used to cutting out the "bad spots". There's nothing wrong with eating apples infested with apple maggot or bitter pit either, it's just that most of us don't find it very appealing.

That aint black spots - this is black spot. I would love to have apples that looked as nice as yours
they are from my Haralson tree in my back yard. Very under-rated tree imo. Still has fruit on it and been slowly dropping for the last month. it is prone to being bi-annual. It does get plenty of water, city lot drains to the back of my lot.

Those pics could be used as tutorials for what sooty blotch and fly speck look like
And I sprayed those trees four or five times last year