Spoiler Alert!

What's a few wildlife apples you guy recommend from them?

Greetings from Northern NY! Thanks to the folks who let me know about this forum; looks like a great place to share ideas and experiences. I look forward to becoming a part of this community!
-Connor Hardiman
St. Lawrence Nurseries

welcome Connor. Hope to order a few for next spring

How does one receive a catalog? I can't find any of their things on the website.

Charman - Having planted some of SLN's trees the last several years, I can suggest All-Winter-Hangover crab, Winter Wildlife crab, Prairie Spy, Chestnut crab, and Bonkers. All have grown well for us at hunting camp. My personal favorite tree for ease and looks is All-Winter-Hangover. 3rd year in the ground and it's a 1 3/4" caliper tree and was loaded with fruit to the point I snipped off about 40 crabapples and left around 12 on it to ripen and finish the season. The apples are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" dia. It was planted as a whip in Spring, 2013.

We also planted Minnesota 1734, Rhuby, Liberty, Goldrush, Sherry, Violi's hanging crab, and Trailman apple/crab from SLN. ALL have done well for us at camp, and they don't get constant babying there.

Welcome aboard, Connor. Good guys on here - I think you'll like it here. We're all into fruit trees for wildlife and for eating & cider. If you were a crack dealer, coming here is like entering a " bad " ( good )neighborhood !! :D

Last edited:
Charman - Having planted some of SLN's trees the last several years, I can suggest All-Winter-Hangover crab, Winter Wildlife crab, Prairie Spy, Chestnut crab, and Bonkers. All have grown well for us at hunting camp. My personal favorite tree for ease and looks is All-Winter-Hangover. 3rd year in the ground and it's a 1 3/4" caliper tree and was loaded with fruit to the point I snipped off about 40 crabapples and left around 12 on it to ripen and finish the season. The apples are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" dia. It was planted as a whip in Spring, 2013.

We also planted Minnesota 1734, Rhuby, Liberty, Goldrush, Sherry, Violi's hanging crab, and Trailman apple/crab from SLN. ALL have done well for us at camp, and they don't get constant babying there.

Welcome aboard, Connor. Good guys on here - I think you'll like it here. We're all into fruit trees for wildlife and for eating & cider. If you were a crack dealer, coming here is like entering a " bad " ( good )neighborhood !! :D

The Winter Wildlife and All Winter Hangover sound like absolute winners for me "LOW/NO maintenance" late season apple!

The Winter Wildlife and All Winter Hangover sound like absolute winners for me "LOW/NO maintenance" late season apple!
Definitely going to order these if they are available

Maybe Sandbur will jump in on this. I think he has a Winter Wildlife crab or 2 at his place in Minn. It's either Bur or Greyphase that has them. I'm REAL happy with our AWH and WW crabs !! But like some of the guys on here have said before .... It seems like ANY crab is easier than a " regular " apple when it comes to fussing over them. I've found the same thing with our crabs. :)

Don't want to jinx you but I've planted two Sherry apples for the same reasons. One planted in 2005 hasn't produced any apple yet.I've started top working it over to other varieties (have two limbs grafted over to your late hanger you sent me:)) and have one planted in 2003 that has been producing apples for several years but they start dropping by late Aug and are finished in Sept :(. I've had the same problem with my Purdy apple tree. it is suppose to be a late hanger but mine have started to drop now and will be done by late Sept. It's a good reliable producer but drops early. Have wondered if being located in southcentral Pa has any reason for the different drop times??? Being in a warmer zone than where they originated???o_O

A lot a mysteries in this apple growing hobby.

I grafted 2 Sherry's in April of 2014, 1 made it. Looked like a great tree from a characteristic standpoint so I was excited to get a scion in the mail from a kind forum member^. That tree grew well it's first year, I didnt really keep records but it was always one of the bigger trees in the class but not by a lot. The tallest tree in a class of about 100 trees grafted successfully in 2014 is that Sherry. And it's the tallest tree in my tiny but high capacity nursery. I just put a tape to it and it's 85" so just over 7'. It's the tallest one leaning right in the pic below, just a crazy grower!!! I will give you a report on the characteristics in sandy central wi in a few years.
CameraZOOM-20150829120833467.jpg

Might as well add Violi's to your list. Beautiful trees, good DR, fairly precocious and supposed to hang into the winter.

Might as well add Violi's to your list. Beautiful trees, good DR, fairly precocious and supposed to hang into the winter.

I have 3 in the pic above :)

Will do!

How does one receive a catalog? I can't find any of their things on the website.
The website is fairly barebones at the moment... Email me a catalog request at connor.sln.potsdam.ny.us, and I will send you one!

The website is fairly barebones at the moment... Email me a catalog request at connor.sln.potsdam.ny.us, and I will send you one!

Just to clarify the email again from page 1 it's
Connor@sln.potsdam.ny.us.

I just sent a request

Welcome, Connor!
Your business has a great selection of apples.

What rootstock is most of the SLN stuff on?

Stu 's right. Antonovka. Don't know if other rootstocks will be grafted with Connor Hardiman as the new owner or not. We'll see.