Spicebush

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Anyone deal with spicebush? I have a ton of it and its in the areas ive opened the canopy over the last 5 years. Is it garbage? Any benefit? How do you kill it?

Seems useful to birds and bugs. Never seen deer use it.

If I wanted to kill it I would probably spray it in late August like I do most bushes and small trees.

As to whether or not to kill it, I probably wouldn't bother unless I was going to plant something else in its place.

I have lots of it too. Mostly in canopy openings and edges. Doesn't seem to be a preferred browse species but the birds do like it. It is native for me and I have no issues with having it around. I would think a foliar spray right about now would be hard on it if you wanted to kill it. Lots of worse stuff to have in my neck of the woods so I welcome it.

Anyone deal with spicebush? I have a ton of it and its in the areas ive opened the canopy over the last 5 years. Is it garbage? Any benefit? How do you kill
I have areas with lots of spicebush. It is a native plant. I am however, working to control honeysuckle and autumn olive which are invasive and had taken over areas as a monoculture. Nothing else would grow there and I didn't see any browse on them.

I have areas with lots of spicebush. It is a native plant. I am however, working to control honeysuckle and autumn olive which are invasive and had taken over areas as a monoculture. Nothing else would grow there and I didn't see any browse on them.

Is it that your deer do not eat honeysuckle or does it grow so fast it’s getting out of hand? Always heard the deer really liked it.

Is it that your deer do not eat honeysuckle or does it grow so fast it’s getting out of hand? Always heard the deer really liked it.
Super invasive, has taken over certain areas and nothing will grow under it. Same with autumn olive.

I have lots of spice bush too. Like stated, it is native and I can think of lots worse things that could be growing. Deer do bed in it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

i notice it being sold by MDC

........but they also sell sweetgum:emoji_thinking:

bill

i notice it being sold by MDC

........but they also sell sweetgum:emoji_thinking:

bill
I sell sweet gum too. Dig your own like pick your own strawberries. Running a big sale next spring.

We have a healthy population of spice bush. It doesn’t offer much for deer (fast growing cover) but it doesn’t seem to bother anything either. In one location on our place it’s a strong contender for best food plot screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk