Sovran mixing

tonypnc

Yearling... With promise
Can anyone help me out on how much Sovran to use when mixing a small amount? What I'm looking for is an idea of how much to use when mixing with 10 gallons of water which at this time is more than enough to spray my apples. The directions say to use 3.2-6.4 ounces per acre. But I've only got 5 trees (and a couple of grape vines) to spray. I could do some calculations (and that is what I'll do without some guidance) but I sure would like to here from someone who mixes it like this regularly. Thanks.

I don't think too many mix Sovran in those small amounts. I think it comes with an applicator cone that has the measurements on the cone. You might be better off with Captan which is like 2 tablespoons per gallon of water

I already use Captan (and Immunox in the early season) but I bought Sovran as I heard that it was good to use for sooty blotch and flyspeck which I had a problem with last year. Captan didn't seem to do a particularly good job against sooty blotch & flyspeck so I'm trying something else. You're probably right that no one may be mixing it up in those small amounts but I thought it'd be worth a try to ask!

Are these apples for deer? If so I wouldn't worry about FS/sooty blotch. It's just cosmetic. Also as a prolong warm wet summer can result in secondary infection periods in July/ August, Sovran alone can not do the trick. **** It can only be used 4 times per year! Other fungicides such as Topsin M or Pristine would also be needed for full control if clean apples are desired.

As for answer to your question, figure out the area, and do the math. It's going to be a minuscule amount. A tolerance to Sovran can be built up, that's some of the reason for only 4 sprays of it per year. So you would also need to use accurate amounts or you will exacerbate the tolerance build up.

The apples are for the deer and my family. And my daughter likes for them to look like they came from the grocery store! Thus the need for something else. I have read all the warnings for resistance build up against Sovran so I had only planned on using it two or three times per year. Once now, again the end of June, then perhaps again at the end of July depending on whether or not we have a wet period. For these 3 sprays I'd be using Sovran as a replacement for Captan. Thanks for the info on into Topsin M & Pristine, I'll begin research on them now.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info provided on this forum. Growing (pretty) apples can be a real tough task. Unfortunately I didn't have the information from this forum before I started growing apples. The most important thing I'd do different is select different varieties that are more disease resistant.

Once now, again the end of June, then perhaps again at the end of July depending on whether or not we have a wet period. For these 3 sprays I'd be using Sovran as a replacement for Captan. Thanks for the info on into Topsin M & Pristine, I'll begin research on them now.
I think the PHI(preharvest interval) is 30 days on Sovran. Keep that in mind if you have any early varieties.

I'd keep the Captan in your mix and add Sovran or other fungicides intermittently. But like Maya says, PHI becomes important from about now-on depending on what specific cultivars you have. Lodi and Transparent, for example, could be ready for harvest in 5 weeks or so depending on where you're located. Other early varieties follow after that. If you're interested in spray combos beyond the home orchard premixes, I'd suggest getting a good guide such as Penn State's Tree Fruit Production Guide.