Sorghum Sudangrass Experiences

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I plan to plant a screen on the edge of my biggest foodplot this year and was wondering your experiences with this. Mainly, do deer eat it? Not much sense planting it if the deer eat it to the ground before it does any good. I won't be planting much of it because only one end of my foodplot is open, so a strip about 120 yards long is what I am looking at. I may mix it with Egyptian Wheat as well. Thanks for the input.

VV

I’ve only ever seen them bend it over and nibble at the seed head. And not a lot. They won’t destroy it. Never seen them touch it as it was growing.

I’ve only ever seen them bend it over and nibble at the seed head. And not a lot. They won’t destroy it. Never seen them touch it as it was growing.

Good to hear, thanks.

VV

You shouldn’t have any problems. This is with high deer numbers too.
5db72998ecc8dc5b47bacdd10cf7a2a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grows great. Deer don't touch it, except perhaps the seed heads late season, once its goes down. The one negative, as a screen, a hard frost and some wind and its going down.

I had good success with throw and mow

Quickly outgrows weeds/competition

Works well as a screen as mentioned

bill

How wide of a row are you guys planting? I plan to order my seed today and planting around the end of May with a good rain.

VV

You shouldn’t have any problems. This is with high deer numbers too.
5db72998ecc8dc5b47bacdd10cf7a2a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does look like a great screen. But that bare soil not so much. That stuff is screaming from the pain it’s in.

That's a pic from a few years ago. I think I ended up putting an LC mix in there, which turned out pretty good.
FYI: I fertilized the SS at least one time when it was a few inches high with urea and it likes full sun.

That's a pic from a few years ago. I think I ended up putting an LC mix in there, which turned out pretty good.
FYI: I fertilized the SS at least one time when it was a few inches high with urea and it likes full sun.

Thanks. Sun won't be a problem and I will hit it with urea as you suggested.

VV

There are late maturing varieties that work well here . My first frost is usually ~11/17

Keep cows away .........

bill