Sorghum and clover

7WSM

Buck Fawn
I’m looking for advice if anyone has tried this.
I’ve been planting Milo for 5 years now to help my pheasant population. I currently do a burn down with a post emergent Lexar but I still get grass coming thru, some years is worse than others. I’ve been contemplating planting Milo then wait till it’s a a couple inches tall then broadcast clover.

I haven't had great luck with fall or summer planted clovers out-competing grasses or weeds. I'm assuming since your milo is intended for grain production that you hit it well with nitrogen (which grasses love). Maybe try another grass such as millet?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m do not harvest these fields, I leave the Milo stand all winter to help pheasants and quail get thru the winter. I put on 160 lbs/ acre of urea before planting. I don’t mind some grass because it does help provide cover but I was just thinking the clover would help provide more N throughout the growing season plus help suppress grass.

They’re not the most compatible, mainly due to planting times. Clover is best established during cooler times of the year, whereas any sorghums have to wait for the warm season.

Millet, sunflowers and buckwheat would all be more complimentary due to their growing seasons. Buckwheat could be a good option if you wait 2-3 weeks for the sorghum to get a head start, but I definitely would not plant at the same time.

I figured you left it all winter. When I said "production" I was referring to you wanting seed more than just just some stalks for cover. The urea promotes grasses, I thought maybe you could out compete the weedy grasses with a millet to get more seed production that would benefit the pheasants. If I were to try a spring planted clover in milo it would probably be a med red.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'd cut the milo planting rate in half and add sunflowers and millet. jmo

We plant sorghum for pheasants, and if it gets a few weeds, so be it. Pheasants like weeds too...(except thistle we try to cut or spray)