All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somebody flipped the SWITCH ON

Thanks NH,

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting a list of potential forbs to add to my existing grasses and getting real world advice helps.

My first planting which was about 40 acres was based on cost and the advice of the NRCS office. I think I can greatly improve my stand by inter seeding the right mix. Not all areas I seed will be about forbs as some will be purely for thickening up the stand.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad to help. You can really promote the species you want with carefully timed mowing and/or spraying. Canada goldenrod can take over other forbs but it starts growing much earlier than most and you can hit it without hurting lots of others. That's what I did this year and it really worked.

Last edited:
How did u guys establish lead plant? I tried digging some up and the roots to to China. Can u collect the seed?

How did u guys establish lead plant? I tried digging some up and the roots to to China. Can u collect the seed?

I don't have any myself, but I hear its hard to establish where there are a lot of deer. I see seed for sale commercially, so I'm sure they could be collected if a guy timed it right. I also hear that its one of those plants that holds its place well once established but is slow to get going.

Having a patch of natives, forbs and wildflowers would be a good addition to any habitat. For you guys that HAVE such patches, how do the deer treat them ?? At my camp, we don't have a patch like some of you guys do. I'm sure it would be good for bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, etc. Do your deer pound those patches, or just browse and nibble here and there ??

Having a patch of natives, forbs and wildflowers would be a good addition to any habitat. For you guys that HAVE such patches, how do the deer treat them ?? At my camp, we don't have a patch like some of you guys do. I'm sure it would be good for bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, etc. Do your deer pound those patches, or just browse and nibble here and there ??

With me its kind of spread out in the grass fields, and I don't have specific areas of just forbs and wildflowers. But, its easy to watch deer browse them early in the year before the grasses get too tall. I watched a doe on my place recently go up a fence row that had various plants (both woody and herbaceous). It looked like me at a salad bar except that she didn't go back to a table to eat:D This was a doe that had two fawns hid nearby, and she was taking advantage of her time to load up. I've watched deer browse heavily, but this was exceptionally interesting. She wasn't culling much of anything.

Glad I read this. There are some pretty nasty thickets of blackberry growing in one my switch fields. I'll be sure to get on them with the mower early next spring.

Mine was on average about knee high or a bit more when I checked a week ago or so, but I would suspect it will be pushing waist high when I get back. I'll take some pics and post them once I get back off vacation and back into the routine. So far my NWSG planting has been my second most significant improvement to my place - the timber harvest was the top one.

Native - where are you in KY? I'm just curious.

J-bird, I just looked back through this thread today and noticed that you asked me a question and I didn't answer. Not sure why I missed that the first time but apologize. I'm about 90 minutes due east of Bowling Green.

Glad I read this. There are some pretty nasty thickets of blackberry growing in one my switch fields. I'll be sure to get on them with the mower early next spring.

On my place they are flowering before the NWSGs get very tall. It sets them back to mow them when they are flowering, and if you clip the top of the grasses a little it doesn't hurt them at all. You won't completely get rid of blackberry this way, but it makes their life miserable.:D

Last edited:
J-bird, I just looked back through this thread today and noticed that you asked me a question and I didn't answer. Not sure why I missed that the first time but apologize. I'm about 90 minutes due east of Bowling Green.

That's cool. I was just asking - I figured you may be shy....I was just curious just how close we where to each other.

That's cool. I was just asking - I figured you may be shy....I was just curious just how close we where to each other.

I'm going to blame it on old age. I turned 60 this year and I'm using that excuse for everything...lol.

I know there is a lot of guys tied into crp contracts. I want patches of blackberries and such in my native grass. I think it starts giving u more of that edge, the wildlife all want. Just like conifers in the grass.
Also guys, remember your grass seed is more than viable. Not sure u could do this with a crp contract, but I'm preparing to start harvesting and expanding my switch, big blue and Indian. That's gonna give me free freaking seed! I actually went against most advice and purchased non certified seed from a hippie in a plastic garbage bag. I think I paid around $200 from 80 pounds of big blue/ Indian.
I'm not tied into a crp contract so I'm completely free to manage exactly how I want, and harvest seed to increase my plantings.
Just something to think about for the guys not keen on having the government own them. And saving good $ because this native seed gets pretty pricey. I think Indian was running at $16/ pound when I bought mine for a couple bucks.....

I'm in CREP rather than CRP, and it pays much more handsomely. And, I'm being paid to do exactly what I want to do. In fact, every year I do more than is required. And after paying taxes for around 44 years and getting little in return, I don't feel a bit bad in taking a liberal's money for a while - because its my money and not his anyway.

Good idea on seed harvesting. I may decide to do that someday....

Didn't know about crep, will look into that one

Around here crp will pay 50% of seed cost and quail unlimited will plant it for you, also the last two fields we put in pollinator mix beat cash rent by 20$ an acre.

Dipper, if you ever want to get a start of some good briers, come down and I will give you some to take home. These get 9 to 11 feet tall and make some nice berries.

With all my deer I couldn't even grow them, but that's improving. That pic reminds me of where I hunt in Iowa. The deer love it.