Some persimmons started from seed

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
I got persimmon and paw paw seeds last fall from a couple folks (thanks!). I was busy with apples and chestnuts last spring so these did not get started until well into June. Germination was decent on the persimmon but the paw paws got moldy before germinating and I gave up on them. Even after germinating the persimmons, I did not have great success...I think I should have left the radicles get a little longer before putting into the rootmakers. But some are better than none .

After I could remove the seeds from all of them, I moved them outside a few weeks ago when we were still getting high 80s. They hardened off on a partially shaded porch until it cooled down and now sit on the back patio. I have some in rootmaker 18s and some in tall rootmaker 2 (quarts?). They'll get planted on my folks' farm in a few weeks. I am interested to see how the persimmons and paw paws I got from MDC are doing when I get down to the farm. They should have gotten a great start with the wet May and June before a dry July and August. I am planting these in a relatively open black walnut orchard. These walnuts have no logging value and I plan to eventually remove most of them.

persimmons1.jpg persimmons2.jpg

Very Cool!

I would get rid of the Walnuts sooner than later if it were mine.