Some Observations on This Mornings Walk

greyphase

5 year old buck +
This is a CrazyEd's Airport apple grafted on to B118. I've been watching this tree all summer as the scion wood explodes in diameter growth but the rootstock remains slim especially at ground level. Anyone else ever see this on their trees? This tree is making some wonderful top growth and I'm hoping the rootstock will catch up with it so that it can support it. The "bumps" on the rootstock are from pruning off small branch shoots when I bench grafted it.
004_zps3brghole.jpg

006_zps3yd4hzcr.jpg

Maybe I should prune the top back this winter???

I know it's too early to be bragging, but this All Winter hangover crab from SLN that I planted in 2013 really impresses me. Now that I've said it I'll probably have a bear "prune" it tonite :eek::mad:.
010_zpsut0kjczt.jpg

I order this from Amazon. $23. Solar powered.
007_zpsxlqx51hf.jpg

The two lights flash red simultaneously at different intervals. It's my little attempt at keeping the bears from my trees. Historically I get most of my bear damage between June and August so might have to wait till next fall to see if it really works.

Great pics! I've never seen the rootstock get its but kicked by the scion like that in any photo's since I started.

The one All-Winter Hangover that we have at camp was also planted in 2013. It's about 8 1/2 ft. tall and is our best looking tree. It had about 4 dozen apples on it and I snipped off about 40 of them to let more energy go to the tree. I left the other 7 or 8 on to finish ripening so I could see what they become / taste (?) like. The branching & spacing seem to be fine all on it's own too. Great tree. I planted a second pair this past spring, and have another one ordered for this coming spring. Yours looks really nice too !! Nice branching on it.

No experience with the rootstock dilemma.

Greyphase I think I would be grafting another tree as a back up. I wouldnt cut back the top as that in general will only help to increase the caliper of the scion. Obviously the rootsock is pushing plenty of juice to the scion. Cant say that I have personally ever seen a rootstock that far behind on growth.

Greyphase I think I would be grafting another tree as a back up. I wouldnt cut back the top as that in general will only help to increase the caliper of the scion. Obviously the rootsock is pushing plenty of juice to the scion. Cant say that I have personally ever seen a rootstock that far behind on growth.

Yea, grafting a backup tree sounds like the best plan.

Yea, grafting a backup tree sounds like the best plan.

I have one or two Airport apples in my nursery as well, and i could also probably get back to the mother tree if more scionwood is needed.

What does the " Airport " look like ?? Eater or just for deer ??

Here's a pic of the Airport apple Matt had posted. I believe in was late winter when the pic was taken.
CrazyEds%20Airport%20apple_zpstxvfqcqn.jpg

With my interest in late hanging apples you can see why I don't want to lose this variety. :)

Does anyone have a close up picture of the apple?
The tree reminds me of a rootstock apple that I have.

Grey - That pic of Matt's " Airport " apple looks like the late-hanger scion I sent you, as far as fruit load. The trees the late hanger I sent you came from were much taller and not as bushy. Apples hung into March. I'll be grafting more of those late hangers this coming spring. That airport apple looks tremendous !!

Grey - That pic of Matt's " Airport " apple looks like the late-hanger scion I sent you, as far as fruit load. The trees the late hanger I sent you came from were much taller and not as bushy. Apples hung into March. I'll be grafting more of those late hangers this coming spring. That airport apple looks tremendous !!

Airport apple was found near an airport. Hung until March the year I took that pic and cut scionwood. I don't have any closeups of the apple.

Here's a pic of the Airport apple Matt had posted. I believe in was late winter when the pic was taken.
CrazyEds%20Airport%20apple_zpstxvfqcqn.jpg

With my interest in late hanging apples you can see why I don't want to lose this variety. :)

I want one!!! I could look at apple tree pics all day:)

Not sure if that was a fluke year, but I can likely get more scionwood if you like.

Would like to graft some late drop apples next spring if you have the scion wood to spare Ed.
Hopfully it goes better than my first attempt

S
Would like to graft some late drop apples next spring if you have the scion wood to spare Ed.
Hopfully it goes better than my first attempt

Cool remind me in feb please. That tree is 2.4 miles from my office. Basically in a tiny industrial park sandwiched between the airport and the interstate.

Whatever that Airport apple is - it should be preserved by grafting some new trees from it. Too good to let slip away with time !!!

S

Cool remind me in feb please. That tree is 2.4 miles from my office. Basically in a tiny industrial park sandwiched between the airport and the interstate.

Will do sir
Much appreciated