Solution for Chimunks / mice / voles?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I've been at war with a excess chipmunk problem at my home. They live in some boulders that surround an outdoor patio I have here at the lake.....and they were making tunnels under our paver stones. This caused some paver stone repair which could get costly. After trapping scores of them.....I decided I needed a better method.....and made some bait stations about a year ago. Ended the chipmunk issues and right now. What I do is take a section of plastic pipe and cut a slot in each end. This allows some bait to be suspended in the tube and prevents dogs and cats from getting at the bait....while allowing the chipmunks access. The chipmunks cleaned out every bait I had (a dozen of 'em) at first.....but then they were GONE. Just noticed a few running around again now.....so I set my bait stations out today. The battle continues.....but I am winning. I wonder how these might work around an orchard for mice and voles?? Likely would.

I replaced the solid wire with "picture frame wire" on my latest efforts as it's a bit easier to manage when loading the traps. The tube costs about a buck a piece. If you do this....make sure you buy the bait with a hole through the middle. They make it both ways. Also, I may get one size larger pipe if doing it again......tho this works fine. The black pipe hides away nicely along the foundation of my home. I just place em along bushy areas where the chipmunks run. I've been using two or three bait chunks at a time. They all get eaten down to the wire.

tempImagegtAD2J.jpg

The only chipmunk I've ever seen at my house ran out of a rat poison station that I picked up because it was rocking like a 1970 chevy van with no windows.

The only chipmunk I've ever seen at my house ran out of a rat poison station that I picked up because it was rocking like a 1970 chevy van with no windows.
Can you interpret that for me? lol

Thanks foggy, we have a major chipmunk infestation around the house.. they were in the garage eating chicken feed constantly until we put it all in totes too.

Dogs really like that brand of bait so I went to bucket traps and sticky pads for barn.By the way it's just over $1000 for a nights stay in the emergency vet after they eat it on easter sunday

If you ever think one ate it and you don't go to vet start giving them peroxide and they will vomit

I've been at war with a excess chipmunk problem at my home. They live in some boulders that surround an outdoor patio I have here at the lake.....and they were making tunnels under our paver stones. This caused some paver stone repair which could get costly. After trapping scores of them.....I decided I needed a better method.....and made some bait stations about a year ago. Ended the chipmunk issues and right now. What I do is take a section of plastic pipe and cut a slot in each end. This allows some bait to be suspended in the tube and prevents dogs and cats from getting at the bait....while allowing the chipmunks access. The chipmunks cleaned out every bait I had (a dozen of 'em) at first.....but then they were GONE. Just noticed a few running around again now.....so I set my bait stations out today. The battle continues.....but I am winning. I wonder how these might work around an orchard for mice and voles?? Likely would.

I replaced the solid wire with "picture frame wire" on my latest efforts as it's a bit easier to manage when loading the traps. The tube costs about a buck a piece. If you do this....make sure you buy the bait with a hole through the middle. They make it both ways. Also, I may get one size larger pipe if doing it again......tho this works fine. The black pipe hides away nicely along the foundation of my home. I just place em along bushy areas where the chipmunks run. I've been using two or three bait chunks at a time. They all get eaten down to the wire.

View attachment 68266
Time to go CaddyShack on their ass

bill

I have tried everything ... spring traps, poison, baited rollers, etc. By far, the most successful one I have used in the Rinne bucket trap. Uses a flapper lid that attaches to a 5 gal bucket. There is a hood I put peanut butter & peanuts in. The mouse climbs up the side rail, walks onto the flapper to get to the peanut butter, then the flapper gives away. I put 6" of water in the bucket and the mouse will drown. Our farm has an old farm house we have renovated but still is visited by mice. As it gets cold, I have caught up to 5 mice in a week. If you are putting in your unheated barn you can pu anti=freeze in during the winter.

Last edited:
Foggy47 I have used your pipe set for voles. Works great. I put one on the inside of the fenced apple trees when voles move in. Also keep one inside of my fenced garden for voles. Thank you.

Foggy, not the most practical solution, not cheap at all but I think what you need is a BRK Ghost from Airguns Of Arizona.

I’m shooting a little less than a 300 count tin of pellets a month off my back deck since I got it. It’s quiet, deer in the food plot behind my house don't even look up when I shoot a squirrel/ground squirrel/coon.

It’s pure fun.

Foggy, not the most practical solution, not cheap at all but I think what you need is a BRK Ghost from Airguns Of Arizona.

I’m shooting a little less than a 300 count tin of pellets a month off my back deck since I got it. It’s quiet, deer in the food plot behind my house don't even look up when I shoot a squirrel/ground squirrel/coon.

It’s pure fun.
Yeah.....it is fun and I have shot a few too. But the bait stations are a better long term strategy for me.

Especially if there are a lot of them. Man shooting them is really fun though.

We don’t have a dog anymore and the squirrels and coons have been getting on our deck, dropping bits of chewed up walnuts and hickory’s that hurt when you step on them. They climbed around under my daughter’s car hiding nuts in it. One fell in my wife’s above ground pool and made pinholes in the liner trying to get out. I’ve been on a murderous rampage since mid august.

Last edited:
If you see where they are coming in/out, you can try sticky traps. Not very humane but it does work.

I must be the only guy that likes chipmunks ? Kinda like the around my lake place.

I must be the only guy that likes chipmunks ? Kinda like the around my lake place.
I like em too but they haven't done any damage to anything around my place. This seems to be a booming year for chipmunks here.

I like them too. Fun to watch.

I like them too. Fun to watch.
I like a few around. And as long as they behaved I let em be. But I was overrun with chipmunks....and they tunneled under my patio pavers and filled the runs with nuts of all kinds. Then the tunnels were collapsing and causing all kinds of problems with my patio. In some places the pavers were sunk 6" due to their never ending warehouse projects! I think I trapped over 60 of the little bastards.....and we still had them all over the place before I started the bait stations said here.

I spent a few days to repair the pavers and fill the runs with sand again. Decided it was WAR! To me they are illegal aliens. At this point the numbers have increased again....so I am back to my bait stations.