Solar power

How many watts does your fridge pull? I had looked at trying to run a fridge on solar and I couldn’t get the math to work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The canuckastan fly in fish camps are starting to switch from propane fridges to a solar setup. Looks mostly like a full size fridge but would guess has over double the normal insulation kinda like a yeti cooler. The freezer actually performs great, unlike the propane units.

Believe was a California company but don't remember the name top of mind. Pricey up front but the propane ones are a pita to keep running well and are not cheap either.

Edit: doing a quick Google, Sun Frost maybe?

How many watts does your fridge pull? I had looked at trying to run a fridge on solar and I couldn’t get the math to work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you should be able to look at the specs of a fridge, and if it lists the wattage, or amperage, then the math should be easy. RV world is full of inverters to convert the dc to ac, and likely the best type of refers to run with the system. The refers that run off both LP & electric would be a good choice, that way you have backup just in case. They are pricey tho.

you should be able to look at the specs of a fridge, and if it lists the wattage, or amperage, then the math should be easy. RV world is full of inverters to convert the dc to ac, and likely the best type of refers to run with the system. The refers that run off both LP & electric would be a good choice, that way you have backup just in case. They are pricey tho.
I looked all over town at fridges and they were all power hogs. A standard 18 cu ft fridge at the office for example, I looked at the tag, and that's a 600 watt unit. My apartment fridge is 828 watts. I ended up going with an 18 cu ft LP fridge. It did cost about $1600 more than a same size grid fridge, but I recouped that premium and the cost of my solar system already.

My LP fridge book says it uses 8 gallons of LP/month, and I only run it from about May-November.

I have used a 7.5 cubic foot unit that uses 120W. Likely too small for many, but ideal for hunting lodge/RV (my application) and small enough one person can move it. Nice freezer as well.

My fridge is similar to the one 356 has. I put a kwh meter on it for a few weekend visits and max it pulls is around 1.5 in a day and that's when opening and closing regularly so I assume it's less when nobody is there. The fridge is plenty big for food for a large group for a multiple day stay and it's nice to leave it plugged in so milk, popsicles, etc. for the kids don't need to be on the packing list every trip.

To size my system I combined internet research, math and then some guess and check in the real world. I made a spreadsheet of what I wanted to power, what it draws running and hours running per day estimate. I took a 10% haircut for the inverter to 120v and assumed 50% max rundown on the batteries to try and get a decent life from them (cheap lead acid from Walmart - lithium iron the Temps was a problem since stored in an unheated room). I focused more on battery capacity to run 3 days with no sun because I also have two 10amp chargers on the battery back that when I run my generator while up there it helps top the battery off.

The 16 panels is basically how much I could fit in the mounting area I have but also maxes out (I think) the 3 30 amps charge controllers. I started with 2 and kept adding until the system could make it a week without dying in the middle of MN winter and when the panels were partially snow covered. I haven't seen the battery anything but mostly full when arriving since the last panels were added and all pf them were moved above the snowline.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk