So what do you like to plant on utility ROWS

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
Just curious what people are planting for food, screening and/or cover on utility ROWs where nothing woody stemmed is allowed to be planted?

Clovers, birdsfoot trefoil, vetch, overseed with cereals in the fall. I see them as an opportunity to try to up the nutritional plain a little with stuff that may fill gaps in native veg.

I’ve seen people use as a food plot, and I’ve seen native grasses for bedding/cover.

I think cheap annuals is way to go. It will break your heart when you get something nice going and then power company comes through and spray or digs and ruins it all

Even though my neighbor and I get along great and split the R/W about 60/40 we decided we didn't want it to be a food plot.We planted switch and it has worked good.I had in the R/W agreement with Evergy Power that they had to provide signage saying owner maintained-NO Spraying.That was all good until the person I was working with retired so I had my own signs made.

I work for a power company and know how the vegetation subcontractors are. Morons. Mowing is one thing- spraying is another.

I was primarily concerned on visibility and maintenance Visibility as to who could find themselves there and lob lead (as one is 600 yards through the gut of the property). The ask other was more along the lines of what could I plant that I wouldn’t have to mow frequently as it is OOS and I could get over if the utility trashed it. That’s where the bedding thoughts came in.

Supposedly both entities only now biannually. The one elec row has 10ft tall briars on it now. Will do
Something there when they do finally mow it.

I need to figure out the layout first… was just working some options in my mind and know others have been down this ROW before…

I work for a power company and know how the vegetation subcontractors are. Morons. Mowing is one thing- spraying is another.

I was primarily concerned on visibility and maintenance Visibility as to who could find themselves there and lob lead (as one is 600 yards through the gut of the property). The ask other was more along the lines of what could I plant that I wouldn’t have to mow frequently as it is OOS and I could get over if the utility trashed it. That’s where the bedding thoughts came in.

Supposedly both entities only now biannually. The one elec row has 10ft tall briars on it now. Will do
Something there when they do finally mow it.

I need to figure out the layout first… was just working some options in my mind and know others have been down this ROW before

There are several products that come to mind. One is called bedding in a bag by real world wildlife products. The other is green covers view blocker. Both are good companies and products.