Snow Machines - I need schooling

Kooch

5 year old buck +
I'm pretty sure if I buy a couple, it'll never snow again. But, we're giving it some thought for next Winter. Since I quit drinking, ice fishing just isn't the same. And, I need to figure out something to do for recreation up here in the Winter. I'm thinking about picking up snowmobiles.

There are four of us in the family, and I don't want to buy four. So, I'm thinking two, that can hold two people each. I'd want a trail cruiser type machine, if such a thing exists. I don't intend to do jumps or anything else, just run maintained trails. I know nothing about them other than I need to find something fun to do in the Winter or I'm going to end up shooting holes in stuff.

Tell me what I need to know about snow machines please? Thank you in advance.

I'm pretty sure if I buy a couple, it'll never snow again. But, we're giving it some thought for next Winter. Since I quit drinking, ice fishing just isn't the same. And, I need to figure out something to do for recreation up here in the Winter. I'm thinking about picking up snowmobiles.

There are four of us in the family, and I don't want to buy four. So, I'm thinking two, that can hold two people each. I'd want a trail cruiser type machine, if such a thing exists. I don't intend to do jumps or anything else, just run maintained trails. I know nothing about them other than I need to find something fun to do in the Winter or I'm going to end up shooting holes in stuff.

Tell me what I need to know about snow machines please? Thank you in advance.

This is pretty funny, because all the guys and gals I know who are serious snowmobile riders are also serious drinkers. Ice fishing and snowmobiling I think just give people a reason to get together and drink in the winter! :emoji_thumbsup:

With that said, what you're looking for is called a "2 up" sled. They are powerful and built for 2 riders. And just like you mentioned, they are good for cruising on groomed trails. I have a 2001 Arctic Cat 600 Panther. It's a 2 up sled. Heated handle bar grips and thumb throttle, heated passenger seat and handles, liquid cooled, electric start, reverse, windshield, etc. They are not really meant for ripping it up in the deep powder. They are heavy and will often struggle staying afloat in the deep snow. I've buried mine more times than I care to recount trying to ride it in the deep stuff.

I am not a serious rider. I use mine to take the kids for a ride on our 30 acres. We use it to haul sap in the spring. And we use it to keep all of our trails groomed for cross country skiing and walks with our dogs.

Hope this helps.

What are the most reliable makes? In ATVs, most people will tell you Honda and Yamaha are the most reliable, trouble free manufacturers. How about snowmobiles?

I need to find something fun to do in the Winter or I'm going to end up shooting holes in stuff

Sounds like a fine way to spend the winter. :emoji_grin:

What about trapping? Any interest?

I live right in the middle of the Twin Cities suburbs, and have a job that requires travel, not exactly conducive to trapping. Good thought though. Thanks.

What are the ages of 4 riders? If your looking to do any distance, ridding 2 up is not a very enjoyable experience. Body really gets beaten up bad. My extended family is all big into sleds, soon as the kids turn 12 they're on there own sleds
Just a little warning, snowmobiling is said to be most expensive recreational sport.

We're all adult size. So, I appreciate the advice. My Son is 6'2" and 195 pounds..... The two of us would not be riding two up. :emoji_astonished:

Maybe we'll rent for a while. I can tell you, having snow machines would make using our hunting shack in the Winter much more common. There are plenty of trails up there.

You might be amazed how much you'll use sleds for hunting. My cabin was originally bought as a sled destination. Hunting came second. I do hunt some public lands no one would ever get to without a sled in winter.

Renting is a good idea before taking the plunge, maybe a weekend on 2 2ups and a weekend with 4 solo sleds. I already know what you'll like better.

I love riding from home to my cottage. Normally a 3.5hr truck ride. Sled takes about 8 hours, not often we have enough snow at home though

We're all adult size. So, I appreciate the advice. My Son is 6'2" and 195 pounds..... The two of us would not be riding two up. :emoji_astonished:

Maybe we'll rent for a while. I can tell you, having snow machines would make using our hunting shack in the Winter much more common. There are plenty of trails up there.
And vice versa. Having a hunting shack where trails are handy enough to access via machine from your property really makes using the snow machines so much more enjoyable. Renting first is excellent advice; there are people who prefer the 2up but I'd bet there a lot more that don't.

my preference3 is to ski doo, kow a lot of looooong time riders that will ride nothing else for good reason, reliability.

for comfortable, casual riding, and mpg, ya can't beat todays 4 stroke machines, quiet, no 2 stroke smoke, and engines run forever.

I ride upstate ny, between binghamton and syracuse area and wish I would have gotten ito it sooner, it is just that much fun.

"I'm pretty sure if I buy a couple, it'll never snow again'

Your comment is quite funny. I do not own or ride a snow machine During the last winter I counted less than 7 days the trails in my area 25 miles North of Madison, WI were open. I know a married couple that love to ride, and they have a vacation home near Rhinelander in Northern WI. They said they had the best snow season ever and rode more this year than ever before. So I guess you have to hope for snow at your location or be prepared to travel to the snow.

Sleds are fun, fast and expensive. Considering your area are you willing to travel to use them? I got out of them because I didn't get enough use from them and I couldn't see traveling an hour just to use them. I've owned and raced a few different brands and have always had a sweet spot for Ski Doo's.

for comfortable, casual riding, and mpg, ya can't beat todays 4 stroke machines, quiet, no 2 stroke smoke, and engines run forever

why you gotta say it like it's a bad thing? I miss that strong 2 smoke smell of a decade ago. Even the etec 2 strokes just don't have the same smell, dam epa...

2disappearing God given rights- the smell of diesel at sunrise and 2stroke in the evenings

if willing to travel you can always find snow. Many years I ride into may in parts of u.p. Michigan. Picture below was a few years back in may. That square stone looking thing behind sled is top of a 4' tall gaurd rail along the seasonal road20130323_170907.jpg

I ride about once a year with my Uncle who owns sleds. Always wanted to get one, but we just don't get enough snow in MN to make it worth owning one. I would for sure rent a couple first and see if you like the 2 up. If I was going to buy one it would be a Ski-Doo, no question about it.

I ride about once a year with my Uncle who owns sleds. Always wanted to get one, but we just don't get enough snow in MN to make it worth owning one. I would for sure rent a couple first and see if you like the 2 up. If I was going to buy one it would be a Ski-Doo, no question about it.

I think we've decided to simply rent and take a couple of long weekends next Winter to see what's what. Maybe when the kids are out of school and we have more time, the wife and I will think about buying. Ski-Doo it is, if we ever buy. Thanks for the input everybody.

I got out of mine a while back, mostly because of not enough snow to keep the trails well groomed in my area. Soon I will be moving up north, then I will re invest in a couple sleds. They are fun, they have very high maintenance costs, but they are very addicting.
A 2 up is a lot of work for the driver, especially a less seasoned driver. The next day you will think you cut, and chopped by hand 10 cords of wood by yourself. Once you ride for a few weeks, you wont notice it nearly as much.