SNL any better?

chummer

5 year old buck +
Anyone get trees from them last year? I got some three years ago and they were the size of a pencil and very disappointing. I have a newbie I am getting into apples and I am willing to give them another shot if their stock has improved.

Taggin along. I just placed my first order from them.

They botched my order from the fall of 2018 and I never got any of my trees in the spring of 2019. I was pretty upset since I had no option to get any other trees by the time they let me know I wasn’t getting my trees. They gave me a refund and I got over it and ordered some more trees that I received in the spring of 2020. They were like you describe and pretty disappointing. Took my weekly walk to check on my trees today and was just looking at them and shaking my head at how pitiful they look. Hoping they start doing something this year.

They botched my order from the fall of 2018 and I never got any of my trees in the spring of 2019. I was pretty upset since I had no option to get any other trees by the time they let me know I wasn’t getting my trees. They gave me a refund and I got over it and ordered some more trees that I received in the spring of 2020. They were like you describe and pretty disappointing. Took my weekly walk to check on my trees today and was just looking at them and shaking my head at how pitiful they look. Hoping they start doing something this year.
My pencil trees are 5-6’ now but I had to put them in my garden box for a year. They might even be 4 years old. I got them the first year of new management.

Have ordered from them 5 years in a row including this year. Same pencil stock every year. Would not place them in areas of heavy snow load. But I'm playing the long game. Walked past a 4leaf mn1734 today and it left me shaking my head. That sob is gunna be a beast. Some are winners, some are lossers. Just gotta keep throwing the dice.

I really don’t think SNL has been worth a crap since the 80’s.

That was back when Gilda and Jane Curtain were regulars.

Sorry the title just made think of that….

I really don’t think SNL has been worth a crap since the 80’s.

That was back when Gilda and Jane Curtain were regulars.

Sorry the title just made think of that….

I wish this thread would have existed last week before i placed my first order with them. I liked the fact that they had Standard root stock.

I might give wallace woodstock a go. Cummins is pretty much out of anything on standard.

Ordered 2 years ago and stock were only whips 2'-3' and prices were higher that other nursery's with stock that was 2-3 years larger. Slow growth since then and they are only now approaching 4' but still small caliber.

I order a couple from them this year to fill out a gap i had.

They state on their website they are focusing on organic trees ... no fertilizer.

Well I turned mine non-organic so you'd think they'd pick up the pace! On a sad note, I grafted 25 winter wildlife, 30-06 and droptines this year, and just discovered my collie pup jumped the fence into my nursery and mauled a bunch of them. Damages can't be fully appraised yet.

I've planted a good number of SLN trees at camp - but they're from when Bill MacKentley owned and operated SLN. Those trees were 3 to 4 ft. whips on Antonovka rootstock - which look like carrots in a way, not "hairy" and fibrous like other rootstocks. Those trees didn't kick into gear until the third year after planting. They were not 3/4" caliper trunks when planted - more like 3/8" to 1/2". I described their growth patterns in posts going back 5 years or so - but so you don't have to hunt for them ........ third and fourth year is when mine kicked in. The first couple years they didn't grow much - I think they were getting their root systems established. ALL those trees are now 15 to 18 ft. tall and growing great. Didn't lose one.

I haven't purchased any trees from SLN the last few years - mainly because I was running out of space to plant, and I wanted other varieties that Cummins and Blue Hill had. As for SLN crabs - their Winter Wildlife crabs and the All-Winter-Hangover crabs have done GREAT for us. WW crab is the fastest grower of any of our trees. (got that WW crab endorsement from Greyphase on here!) Both of those crabs are A-1 in my book.

Don't give up on your SLN trees because they are slow to take off. I had my doubts too after a couple years of just piddling along - but they took off and are now big, healthy trees. I hope for the newer buyers that Connor Hardiman (the new owner, who worked for the MacKentleys) adheres to Bill MacKentley's methods. If so ........ you should have good trees.

i got some in the spring of 20. They were small and still are. I'm fairly new to trees, but Most have made it. Still pretty scrawny

I've planted a good number of SLN trees at camp - but they're from when Bill MacKentley owned and operated SLN. Those trees were 3 to 4 ft. whips on Antonovka rootstock - which look like carrots in a way, not "hairy" and fibrous like other rootstocks. Those trees didn't kick into gear until the third year after planting. They were not 3/4" caliper trunks when planted - more like 3/8" to 1/2". I described their growth patterns in posts going back 5 years or so - but so you don't have to hunt for them ........ third and fourth year is when mine kicked in. The first couple years they didn't grow much - I think they were getting their root systems established. ALL those trees are now 15 to 18 ft. tall and growing great. Didn't lose one.

I haven't purchased any trees from SLN the last few years - mainly because I was running out of space to plant, and I wanted other varieties that Cummins and Blue Hill had. As for SLN crabs - their Winter Wildlife crabs and the All-Winter-Hangover crabs have done GREAT for us. WW crab is the fastest grower of any of our trees. (got that WW crab endorsement from Greyphase on here!) Both of those crabs are A-1 in my book.

Don't give up on your SLN trees because they are slow to take off. I had my doubts too after a couple years of just piddling along - but they took off and are now big, healthy trees. I hope for the newer buyers that Connor Hardiman (the new owner, who worked for the MacKentleys) adheres to Bill MacKentley's methods. If so ........ you should have good trees.

Most of my SLN trees have done well, but are slow to take off. Trailman has been a winner and a great tasting crab.

I wish I had bought winter wildlife instead of Violi’s hanging crab. It is a big husky tree, but no fruit. I may try pruning it harder and give it two years.

I do wish they offered trees on dolgo rootstocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems many of the crabs have been absent for the last few years. Glad to see them listed again. I'm tempted, but space is nearly out and this thread hasn't exactly bolstered my confidence in their product.

I wish I had bought winter wildlife instead of Violi’s hanging crab.
Our 1 and only Violi's crab hasn't done much either. Only 1 to 3 fruits so far, and it's been in the ground for 7 years. If that spot had a Winter Wildlife crab instead, we'd probably be having bumper crops of those nice red crab apples by now. It was worth a try. Maybe it'll surprise us yet - but I'm not holding my breath. If it struggles this next summer, I'll yank it and put in a different crab. I have a couple young seedling Buckmans in pots that I could put one in that spot next September ........ :emoji_wink:

Seems many of the crabs have been absent for the last few years. Glad to see them listed again. I'm tempted, but space is nearly out and this thread hasn't exactly bolstered my confidence in their product.
From my experience - if you're going to try a SLN crab - give the Winter Wildlife crab a shot. It's our fastest grower and a good producer of 1" red apples. We have 4 of them at camp and they ALL are gems!!!

I'd have to check my map for confirmation, but my Violis died this yr after having not done much for 2 yrs. I'm still babying The World's Smallest Kerr I planted from them 3 yrs ago. With a good season this yr, it could make a push towards 30" tall

From my experience - if you're going to try a SLN crab - give the Winter Wildlife crab a shot. It's our fastest grower and a good producer of 1" red apples. We have 4 of them at camp and they ALL are gems!!!
Does the WW crab drop at all or does it mostly hold all winter?

season this yr, it could make a push towards 30" tall
Wow - Our Kerr trees took off. 2 on B-118 and 1 on Antonovka. Was it a SLN tree??

Does the WW crab drop at all or does it mostly hold all winter?
Ours drop slowly all winter. We usually have some left hanging in March - but not many. Even the shriveled ones feed grouse and turkeys in the trees - and deer when they eventually drop. The first ones seem to drop mid-October at our place - but not in big numbers. From the tracks in the snow and worn-in circles around the cages, deer must come by and check frequently.

I’ve also not been impressed with SLN trees, but I’m only 3 years in. Fruit trees are a 6+ year investment; while I have some huge 4 year old pears, there’s no fruit yet. 4 year old apples are fruiting but minimally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk