All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake Gaiters

tlew

5 year old buck +
I did a search but didn't see a related topic. I'm in the market for a new set of snake gaiters being from Texas, and I'm looking for something flexible, quiet, and still protective. With those items in mind, I'm leaning toward turtle skins but I wanted to hear others thoughts.

The other set I'm interested in are the Hunters Elements Venom Gaiters. These were tested in Australia so I'm not sure they match up to rattlers fangs -- any one own a set of these by any chance?

So I'll take it from all of the views and no replies that no one uses gaiters or has run-ins with snakes? Stirring the pot because I find that hard to believe :)

LOTS of snakes down my way... and quite a few that aren't friendlies.

Above said, versus gaiters I wear these almost every single time I do work on my property. Hard as a rock when first out of the box but once broke in I find them tolerable from a comfort standpoint. I'm super rough on boots so take this for what it's worth... if worn near daily and used heavily they won't last forever. Average at least a year or two out of them, though they'll usually leak before I give in and get another pair.

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/mens/footwear/rocky-lynx-waterproof-snake-boot/FQ0007379.html

Would have replied earlier, but again never worn gaiters and wasn't sure whether to chime in or not.

Last edited:
I hear ya and I've contemplated some boots as well. That said, I do a lot of my hunting in east Texas where it is often soggy and muck boots are the best footwear. I have a nice pair in good shape that I could add gaiters to which would solve the issue, or I could spring for a new pair of the snake muck boots which is twice the cost of gaiters and doesn't give the flexibility of when you need snake protection versus when you don't. Decisions, decisions.

Either way, I appreciate the reply and insight.

Venemous snakes. Add that to the “pro” side of the ledger of reasons I live and hunt in MN. Just sayin.

I have two set of the turtle skins Gaiters. One for offseason. And one for early season. Thankfully I have not and hope to never know if they are effective. I can say I’ve been busting brush with them and wearing em since the weather here warmed up in late April. They still look brand new. We have an array of various snakes here but my only real concern in the area is the timber rattler. Docile and want to be left alone but they get big around here. And my property is hillsides and rocky slopes and outcroppings. Which is exactly where they like to live out their lives. So we hike the cost of the turtle skins is hard to swallow, it’s a drop in the bucked compared to the consequences of not having them.

^^^^ Don't take copperheads lightly either !! There was a lady not far from my camp upstate that got nailed by a copperhead and she lost her foot. The more time we spend out there in the outdoors, the greater the chance we run into a venomous snake. Better safe.

When we went oryx hunting in NM we bought our gaiters off ebay and they were very slightly used

Appreciate the feedback folks. I think I'm going to trust my gut and just get the turtle skins over the venom gaiters. If they weren't designed for North American snakes, I don't want to be the test case.