Small shrub

KDdid

5 year old buck +
222a5920c373d63dbba7c0d35848e4c4.jpg
61b6668ceaa50e48610168fe3c1661f3.jpg

Any thoughts on this flowering plant? Started noticing it popping up in my wet areas and creekbanks. Woody, small thorns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not certain and just guessing on this one - going to say Washington Hawthorn or a similar wild Hawthorn species. When those blooms open up in a few days it will be very apparent whether or not I'm right. Get a good picture of them when they open on up.

Will do. Mushroom hunting yesterday on my in-laws property, I saw it everywhere.

It doesn't look like any of my Hawthorn.
Could it be Velvet Leaf?

It doesn't look like any of my Hawthorn.
Could it be Velvet Leaf?

No, not velvet leaf, or button weed as we call it. That’s an annual that I’m quite familiar with. This stuff is a woody perennial.

gooseberry

Subtle difference between this leaf and the gooseberry plants I remember. However compared to the image of currant berries I’ve found online...
2d549f1057a0cf24306071ba2f65046e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That ones got me stumped. The leaf looks grape like. ???

That ones got me stumped. The leaf looks grape like. ???

Somewhat, but it’s definitely not grapes. I should edit the title, because it’s more of a cane than a shrub.

The more I look online the more convinced I am that it is gooseberry or currant. I’m leaning toward currant.

& I look different from Bill, plants are like people, they differ a bit in the wild. tag it with some marking tape, and check it in a few weeks, should have grape sized fruit with veins visible

My first thought was currant but i don't recall ours flowering like that.

711222475f8c27053cb75948b78fcf03.jpg

Here’s a closeup of the flowers. Can’t wait to see what the berries turn out to be.