Small Burnet

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I am having trouble understanding this stuff. And I'm having trouble finding info.

I bought a 1000 seed parcel and a two lb. parcel. But how should I plant it? Do deer like it as much as people say?

They sure didn’t care to eat it in TN. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I recall small burnet is a forb and typically is used in mixes to ensure something grows. Again if I recall properly it doesn't like wet soils or flooding. I personally would consider it an additive or a component to a perennial plot but not a stand alone sort of plant. I see it used in some BOB seed mixes with different clovers, chicory and the like. I can't say I have ever planted it intentionally or bought a product specifically for it. I see it like trefoil and the like in a clover plot....a splash of diversity is fine, but I don't expect it to be the main component of the plot.

The spot I chose it for is quite shallow dirt that usually stays pretty dry. Not much else grows there. It will be planted irregularly over about a quarter acre, between the sparse trees and bushes, adjacent to a grove of red oaks. There are some spindly grasses that grow between the juniper, pines, and oaks, and I was planning to scrape up the grass with a chain harrow and plant the small burnet before a big rain. There is already good traffic in the area because of the oaks. I just wanted to plant something there that can tolerate the conditions and would add a little diversity to the spot and be in range of my blind.

I added it to some of my mixes last fall. Won't know until this year how it did.

Can I plant it in May?

It can be planted in late fall or early spring but it is slow to establish. Like perennial clover that is slow to establish, I prefer a fall planting. This allows some germination so it gets a jump on weeds in the spring. Since this is usually planted as part of a mix, optimal planting of the mix may depending on other components. As for the specific month, it depends on your location.

I will be planting it in Ontario, on the border of zones 4 and 5. I will be in Norway this fall, so I can't do anything with that property after July.

You are better off getting advice from someone in your zone on specific dates.

Description General:

Rose Family (Rosaceae). Sanguisorba minor is an introduced, hardy, herbaceous, relatively long-lived, evergreen, non-leguminous, perennial forb. It is usually a branched caudex (thick base of stems) with a prominent taproot and sometimesweakly rhizomatous. Small burnet plants have alternate pinnately compound leaves. Leaflets are mostly 9 to 17, oval to oblong, 4 inches long and coarsely serrate. Total height varies from 6 inches on droughty sites to approximately 25 inches on irrigated sites. The flowers are sessile and closely packed in head-like to elongate spikes, which are 3 to 8 inches long. The flowers are mostly imperfect, the lower ones staminate and the upper ones pistillate with no petals and about 12 stamens, which are filiform. Native burnet species have two to four stamens. The seed is an achene, oblong, about 4 to 5 mm long, woody, papillate-warty, between and along rather prominent ridges, which are four in number.

Small burnet does best on well-drained soils and infertile to disturbed soils. It can be planted and will establish in 12 inches or more rainfall areas, but generally does not persist below 14 inches. It has excellent cold winter and drought tolerance. It tolerates weakly saline to weakly acidic sites. Small burnet is not tolerant of poor drainage, flooding or high water tables. It is usually used in open areas, but will tolerate minor semi-shaded conditions. It is considered fire resistant due to leaves and stems staying green with relatively high moisture content during the fire season.

Planting:

Small burnet should be seeded with a drill at a depth of 1/4 to 3/4 inch into a firm seedbed or broadcast using seed dribblers or aerial applications. Small burnet is not recommended for single species seedings. The full seeding rate (not recommended) for this forb is 20 pounds Pure Live Seed (PLS) per acre or 20 PLS per square foot. When used as a component of a mix, adjust to percent of mix desired.In most cases a rate of 2 to 5 pounds per acre would be adequate in mixtures with other species.

The best seeding results are obtained from seeding in late fall to very early spring on heavy to medium textured soils and in late fall on medium to light textured soils. Late summer (August - mid September) seeding is not recommended unless site is irrigated. Mulching, irrigation and weed control all benefit stand establishment. Seedling vigor is excellent, but the plant establishes slowly. Germination normally occurs the first growing season if adequate moisture is available. Full flowering should not be expected until at least the second growing season.

For mined lands and other harsh critical areas, double the seeding rate component of small burnet. The best seeding results are obtained from seeding in late fall to very early spring (because of grass component of mix) on heavy to medium textured soils and in late fall on medium to light textured soils.

Because small burnet is a broadleaf, use of 2,4-D is not recommended. Mow weeds at or prior to their bloom stage. Grasshoppers and other insects may also damage new stands and pesticides may be needed.

Me: I began this plot with records at least 3 season ago. The first year on sandy ground and low pH, I planted WI Extreme because it was drought tolerant. Very thin plot. Limed in May, fertilized in late August.

Management:

Growth of small burnet begins in early spring and flowers appear in late May through June. The plant establishes slowly and should not be grazed until at least the second growing season. Small burnet plants have been known to persist for more than 20 years on western rangelands.As with other species, the life of the plant can be prolonged if it is permitted to set seed on a rotational basis. Weed control and removal of very competitive species may improve establishment. Damage from wildlife and rodents may occur and they may need to be controlled.

Disease problems are minimal with small burnet.

Split applications of nitrogen in spring and fall and application of phosphorus in fall will enhance production following the establishment year. For optimum production, do not stress plants for moisture during late bud stage, pollination and regrowth. Bees are very active in seed fields when plants are in full bloom and therefore it is considered a good nectar producer.

Environmental Concerns:

Small burnet establishes and spreads relatively quickly via seed distribution. Generally, it is not considered "weedy" or an invasive species, but can spread into adjoining vegetative communities under ideal climatic and environmental conditions. It coexists with other species and adds biodiversity to those plant communities. There have been reports of it having invasive weedy characteristics in Wyoming.

Me: Observations later.

Uses Grazing/rangeland:

Small burnet is noted to have good to excellent forage value for livestock and wildlife during all seasons. It stays green throughout the growing season and into winter until heavy snow cover occurs, providing forage and seed to livestock and wildlife. It provides excellent diversity to the seeded plant community.

Erosion control/reclamation:

Small burnet is noted for value in mixes for erosion control and beautification values.

Wildlife:

Small burnet is considered very desirable forage for elk, deer, antelope and birds either as herbage or seed. Birds use the seed in fall, winter and spring. It also provides cover for selected small bird species. It provides diversity to the plant community. The leaves of small burnet can be added to salads, ice drinks, vinegar, butter, and cream cheese to add a fresh, pleasant, cucumber-like flavor.

Adaptation and Distribution:

Small burnet does best on well drained soils and infertile to disturbed soils. It can be planted and will establish in 12 inches or more rainfall areas, but generally does not persist below 14 inches. It has excellent cold winter and drought tolerance. It tolerates weakly saline to weakly acidic sites. Small burnet is not tolerant of poor drainage, flooding or high water tables. It is usually used in open areas, but will tolerate minor semi-shaded conditions. It is considered fire resistant due to leaves and stems staying green with relatively high moisture content during the fire season. Small burnet is distributed primarily throughout the West and Northeast.

Me: pH was 5.7 when started, now 6.6. 2 years ago, planted Berseem, Balansa, Alsike, Ladino, Medium Red, Plantain and Small Burnett. Annuals did pretty well, in my opinion, perennials were slow. Original planting was 5/28, overseeded 8/24. I mowed ferns 7/20 and 7/27. Since I do not spray, I was still surprised with the vigor. Second mowing, no re-emergence. Pictures to follow. The plot is in hardwoods and shade. It is my thickest plot. Dates are wrong because of camera, but shows utilization in snow.

Small Burnett stays green throughout the growing season and into winter until heavy snow cover occurs, providing forage and seed to livestock and wildlife into the winter season.Although not recommended to be seeded on its own small burnet is desirable forage for elk, deer, and birds either as herbage or seed, and even cover for smaller animals. In addition to its wildlife uses it also has a noted value in mixes designed for erosion control due to its leafy plant structure and root system.

Planting Guide
  • Seeding Rate (Alone/Acre):20 lbs. PLS​
  • Seeding Rate (In Mix/Acre): 2 – 5 lbs.​
  • Seeding Depth(Inches): ¼ - ¾​
  • Life Cycle: Perennial​
  • Seeding Dates : Northern:Late Fall – Very Early Spring See above for soil planting recommendations.​

A few more quick hits on burnett:
Burnet has great cold tolerance, but does not do well in high water tables or flooding conditions
– Do not plant burnet any more than 1/2 inch beneath the soil surface

Attachments

• Sec Spot No Snow.jpg
    Sec Spot No Snow.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Sec Spot Snow.jpg
    Sec Spot Snow.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 33
Excellent! Thanks!