Small beetles in the brasicas?

Bill

Administrator
The few brassica's that did come up are full of small holes and little beetles. Any idea what they are?

I mixed up some Permithrin and sprayed.

image.png image.png image.png

Is there an insecticide that people spray brassicas with?

Two years ago i planted mine at the beginning of July, and they were swarmed by Red Turnip Beetles. After reading up on them, last year i waited until August 1st to plant, and they were nowhere to be found.

I would wait til later in the year to plant yours from now on as it sounds like that will work for your flea beetles too.

Sure looks like this could be your culprit. Even shows a brassica leaf being eaten in the page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea_beetle

That's them alright. Never planted brasica's near this site before. I wonder if they came from the neighbors corn for some tender new shoot.

Two years ago i planted mine at the beginning of July, and they were swarmed by Red Turnip Beetles. After reading up on them, last year i waited until August 1st to plant, and they were nowhere to be found.

I would wait til later in the year to plant yours from now on as it sounds like that will work for your flea beetles too.

Maybe but I never have luck with brassica's. Plant late and we get an early frost. Plant early and it doesn't rain. Now these guys. I guess late is the best of the two unless their a corn pest. If that's the case they'll be around every year.

Is there an insecticide that people spray brassicas with?

Don't know. I had permathrin on hand so I sprayed it. I use it on shrubs being attacked by Japanese beetles and it works so...... We'll see

Permithrin works quite well in my garden. Should work for you. "D"