Slow year

It's really tough to judge the rut based on personal experience. A boom-or-bust format means that sometimes you draw the short straw, but half a mile away is chaos. Insurance agents always know when it's on, though! We had four days of chasing this year that I was lucky enough to witness. It started with the small resident four-points and ended with the big boys joining in, one of which I arrowed from the ground as he was dogging a hot doe. And despite having a clear idea from my own and others experience this year, there are other guys in the same area who will tell you it's just getting going. There's no consensus at all. But I do think that looking back, we'll see that it was a short, hard rut this year.

NE PA QDM & Knehrke - Yes & yes. I didn't hear a single buck grunt this year either, or see / hear any chasing. But as Knehrke points out, some areas only a mile or 3 away were on fire. Bust in one area is a boom in others. Go figure.

I think we ( my camp ) need to build / wrangle / round up a herd of does that are predictably hot on schedule.

Predicting females being hot & ready ………………………….. my boat may have more holes in it than solid flooring. :emoji_scream:

We are now in the peak of the rut here in the Berkshire Hills of Western Mass. The cold snap and the new snow just kicked it into high gear. To look at the deer tracks in the snow you find does tracks or sets of does all being chased by bucks. Two does came through my yards overnight being chased by a buck. The size of his track was immense! The kind of track that Larry Benoit would not pass up. Looked like a young moose track.

Natty - That's good news that you have a heavyweight in your immediate area !! I know you got one already, so that's great - are you guys 2 tag up there ?? If the track is Larry -worthy, he must be a good one !! I hope he hangs around for you.

My camp area just got 10" - 11" of snow from the Noreaster. I have no doubt the bucks are on the does now. I think our rut was a tad late this year for our archery season. Oh well -
rifle season starts the 26th here. I'm as patient as a stone.

I'm in sc Pa. I didn't witness chasing till Nov 3, 9 and 12. Mostly young buck though.
The 12 was excellent for me. Most rutting action i've ever witnessed. 20181112_121857.jpgCaught this guy midday on the trail of a doe that previously came through and hit a water hole thats 20 yards out.

That's a beaut, Weezy !!! I'm glad you had good rut action. Was he a NE Pa. or SC Pa. kill ?? A last day kill like that is just cool. Congrats !!

SC Pa, Fulton county. Thanks, its my 3rd year of ownership of this property and i'm super happy with it so far. Last year I shot a 10 1st day of rifle that was chasing doe out of my sanctuary.

Natty - That's good news that you have a heavyweight in your immediate area !! I know you got one already, so that's great - are you guys 2 tag up there ?? If the track is Larry -worthy, he must be a good one !! I hope he hangs around for you.

My camp area just got 10" - 11" of snow from the Noreaster. I have no doubt the bucks are on the does now. I think our rut was a tad late this year for our archery season. Oh well -
rifle season starts the 26th here. I'm as patient as a stone.

I've got one more buck tag and one more week of bow. Shotgun opens here the same day as your rifle season. Good luck Bowsnbucks!

Thanks Natty !! Go get that big-track.