Slow release 46-0-0 vs normal urea

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I want to add urea to my turnip and radishes I have planted. The plots were planted the weekend before the 4th of July, and on the 4th. The plants on the earlier plot are about a foot tall, and the other plot is about 6 inches tall. The forecast is calling for 50% rain on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I would more then likely be spreading on Friday, or Saturday morning.

Would these 6-12 inch plants benefit more from the slow release 46-0-0 , then the regular release 46-0-0? I guess I am wondering if at this stage of the plants life, if the plant would be better off with the normal release for the big boost, or from a slow release over 4 weeks?

Interested in this as this is when I typically add my urea never thought about a slow release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this matters or not, but during planting I added 200 pounds per acre of 19-19-19.

As some of the Urea will get on and in plants, I would be worried that a slow release might lead to burning leaves. or stalks. I would also think that in 4 weeks your plants would be on their way to maturity.

Being I was picking up some today, I just picked up half of each, then I have the immediate boost, and some long term release.

Brassicas love nitrogen (about 75 lbs per acre). So far you have added 38 lbs of nitrogen (200 lbs of triple 19). I normally hit mine at the 3 to 4 leaf stage or about 4 weeks after planting. If you can find sulfur coated urea 46-0-0 then add about 75 more lbs anytime in the next couple of weeks. Otherwise non coated urea can be applied right before a rain at the 75 lb rate. This will give you a total of 73 lbs of nitrogen per acre. Take some PICs and share if you can. Good Luck.

Well I may be a little strong on the nitrogen this year then, because I am tossing out 2 bags of slow release, and 2 bags of regular release on an acre, I was aiming for 130 pounds of urea, and that is what I was applying. Is that way too much?

Being I was picking up some today, I just picked up half of each, then I have the immediate boost, and some long term release.

I farm for a living so take it for what its worth, but the ESN (slow release) is a waste of time and money. That product is to be used in spring, incorporated into the soil, and hopefully by fall its all broken down and used. If you put it on now you will never get it to breakdown in time for your plots to use it. It can float away during a heavy rain as well if you have any slopes. It will be wasted money. Spread urea before or during a storm. I wont put it out until rain is eminent, cause it will disappear on you really fast if you dont get rain and then hot weather. I am ok with spreading in the dark.

MFDC8218.JPG

One hell of a rush and even better reason to get drunk before 6am on a Wednesday. Great light show while I did this one.

If it wasn't a 3.5 hour drive one way, I wouldn't stress it much. Buck, you brought up points I was afraid of with the slow release, which is why I didn't commit to all slow release, even though that is what the fertilizer place was trying to push on me. I figured half and half this way I can only be half wrong on which to spread.

I'm a little late to the party. But, polymer coated urea should have a tag on the bag expressing the nitrogen release schedule. "Typically, 1) less than 15 percent of the CRF nutrients should be released in 24 hours, (2) less than 75 percent should be released in 28 days, and (3) at least 75 percent should be released by the stated release time (40–360 days)" (Trenkel 1997).

I farm for a living so take it for what its worth, but the ESN (slow release) is a waste of time and money. That product is to be used in spring, incorporated into the soil, and hopefully by fall its all broken down and used. If you put it on now you will never get it to breakdown in time for your plots to use it. It can float away during a heavy rain as well if you have any slopes. It will be wasted money. Spread urea before or during a storm. I wont put it out until rain is eminent, cause it will disappear on you really fast if you dont get rain and then hot weather. I am ok with spreading in the dark.

View attachment 14046

One hell of a rush and even better reason to get drunk before 6am on a Wednesday. Great light show while I did this one.

So you have now confirmed that slow release is a waste of time unless planted at the original planting stage in spring. I guess that is why they call it "slow release".

Why would anyone consider spreading it at this stage in mid July?

So you have now confirmed that slow release is a waste of time unless planted at the original planting stage in spring. I guess that is why they call it "slow release".

Why would anyone consider spreading it at this stage in mid July?

Because it was what the fertilizer place recommended. They told me it slowly releases within 30-45 days. I will have to check the bag and see if it lists the release times. I wasn't convinced, which is why I went 50/50 and went heavy with the amounts.

Because it was what the fertilizer place recommended. They told me it slowly releases within 30-45 days. I will have to check the bag and see if it lists the release times. I wasn't convinced, which is why I went 50/50 and went heavy with the amounts.

Sounds like they wanted to up sell you, good that you hedged your bets.