SLN trees arrived

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Chestnut and Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN got here late Saturday afternoon. Well packaged and look to be in good shape. I dampened them and re-sealed the poly wrap - now stored in cool garage in the dark. I'll plant these in a few days - weather permitting. A little wet snow fell at camp a few days ago with the storm front passage. Here at home - 3 hours from camp - our Profusion and Sugar Tyme crabs are ready to pop their flower buds open.

Lookin' good there Aero !! You're in a great location there.

My SLlN came last week. I opened up and added some water to the roots without opening the tops. They are sitting in/ on a bucket of snow in my garage.

69 today. Not much snow left. Hopefully frost is going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted 4 of 6 SNL trees I had in bags from last year. Update on two of their trees that were planted last year. I give up on Enterprise. Looks like the bark is all cracked and no doubt the tree will die back to the rootstock. I have had enterprise do that from multiple locations so I am done with them. My curse with chestnut crabs continues. It survived the winter but the snow pack snapped it in half about a foot above the graft. The exact reason I put the rest of them in bags for a year. Planting trees the size of a pencil just don’t work at my place. I planted 2 more chestnut and 3 more frostbite so hopefully the year in the home garden will get them through next winter.

Chestnut and Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN got here late Saturday afternoon. Well packaged and look to be in good shape. I dampened them and re-sealed the poly wrap - now stored in cool garage in the dark. I'll plant these in a few days - weather permitting. A little wet snow fell at camp a few days ago with the storm front passage. Here at home - 3 hours from camp - our Profusion and Sugar Tyme crabs are ready to pop their flower buds open.

Those are certainly on my list for next year, can’t believe I don’t have them yet. (Sigh) budgeting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G Squared 23 ^^^^^ - Order your trees early. SLN usually doesn't post online catalog until right after Jan. 1st. They also mail printed catalogs. I start checking for their online catalog around Christmas. Winter Wildlife crab was the first to sell out this past winter - within a few days of online posting !!

Other nurseries - it's best to order in October for the following spring. That way you get the best selections to pick from. ( early bird gets the worm ……. )

I just pulled an old thread that mentioned crimson crisp. I helped a buddy plant 41 trees this weekend but the nursery he got them from sent crimson crisp instead of gold rush. Everything I see says they are zone 5 and he is in the low end of zone 4. Anyone have any luck with crimson crisp in zone 4 or did we plant 10 dead trees standing.

I just pulled an old thread that mentioned crimson crisp. I helped a buddy plant 41 trees this weekend but the nursery he got them from sent crimson crisp instead of gold rush. Everything I see says they are zone 5 and he is in the low end of zone 4. Anyone have any luck with crimson crisp in zone 4 or did we plant 10 dead trees standing.
My experience with Goldrush has been disappointing in zone 4B. A few flat out died and others have setbacks every other year and barely hanging on. Not so sure they are hardy enough for zone 4. Hopefully crimson crisp work out.

My experience with Goldrush has been disappointing in zone 4B. A few flat out died and others have setbacks every other year and barely hanging on. Not so sure they are hardy enough for zone 4. Hopefully crimson crisp work out.
I was against Goldrush to as I have had the same experience as you. At least they are zone 4, these things say zone 5. He didn’t order until December so I think they gave him what they had left. He also got 20 golden hornet and 10 wickson. Hardly what I would have ordered if I was only planning on one planting and being done. I told him to wait and order early this year but you know how new land owners and patience go together.

I was against Goldrush to as I have had the same experience as you. At least they are zone 4, these things say zone 5. He didn’t order until December so I think they gave him what they had left. He also got 20 golden hornet and 10 wickson. Hardly what I would have ordered if I was only planning on one planting and being done. I told him to wait and order early this year but you know how new land owners and patience go together.
Oh I get the patience thing! Cummins Nursery lists Goldrush as zones 5-8.

Oh I get the patience thing! Cummins Nursery lists Goldrush as zones 5-8.
Mine both died their first winter. I do see them listed as zone 4 a couple of places. Probably both don’t have a chance.

I order 25 wild apple bareroots from them, and split an order with a coworker who got the homesteader package.

SLN good about giving you a heads up on delivery? Wife wants her toes in the sand for a few days for her birthday.

Disappointing tree stock again from SLN this year. Bought 3 Winter Wildlife & 2 Golden Russet. This is what the seedling and root area looked like.

I bought 3 Kerr & 3 Chesnut crabs from them 3 years ago and they looked the same size as below. Going into year 4, they are between 3.5' - 5' tall. Slow growers and very spindly.

At $29 per tree, very disappointing. Doubt i will buy from them again.IMG_20220417_123428.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't going to say anything this year and beat up on them again, but I won't even have to give reports on his trees pretty soon. Only have 2 left alive and depending on how they grow or don't grow this year, I'll probably just pull them. Interesting how his trees will just wither away and die while trees from others grow in leaps and bounds. I only graft my own now, and have grafted quite a few winter wildlife, but they'd be the only nursery on my do not buy from list.

Antonovka roots won't look like B118 and others. They are almost carrot like and not several small tentacles like a B118. I ordered 2 winter wildlife and 2 all-winter hangover from SLN this year. Planted two weekends ago. Trees were fine. Nothing huge but they never seem to be from them. Antonovka is a full size tree and won't grow like gangbusters out of the gates. Might be 3 years before you see them jump much. Sleep, creep, leap for Antonovka.

Nope. My trees just arrived. Zero shipping notice
I did get an email saying they had shipped. No tracking info though but at least I knew they were on the way.

I did get an email saying they had shipped. No tracking info though but at least I knew they were on the way.
I just checked my spam folder. No email from SLN about shipping. Not sure why I didn't get one. Not a huge deal I suppose, but it would be nice to know to be keeping an eye out for them.