Skunks, Who Needs Them?

M

MoBuckChaser

The barracuda takes care of the Racoons in the mini trap line she runs. But leaves all the other varmints for me to get rid of!:mad:
This is the 3rd one in 2 weeks! Anyone else have problems?

skunk.jpg

My golden retriever got skunked a couple weeks ago and just last week my mother in laws dog got it. Guess who had to clean both?

My dogs seem to have a way of finding every skunk possible. I remove them if given the chance as they are nest predators. My wife gives the dogs a tomato soup bath - I would just leave them outside! She doesn't see that as an option. I have zero use for a skunk, coon, possum, groundhog or yote - only things they are good for are targets! P.S. cats better stay near the barn!

My dogs seem to have a way of finding every skunk possible. I remove them if given the chance as they are nest predators. My wife gives the dogs a tomato soup bath - I would just leave them outside! She doesn't see that as an option. I have zero use for a skunk, coon, possum, groundhog or yote - only things they are good for are targets! P.S. cats better stay near the barn!
I've never used the tomato bath method. The skunk spray is like an oil and the trick is to contain it and remove it without spreading it all over the dogs body. Usually they get 99% of it right between their eyes. Use a dry rag or paper towels to wipe the spray off the dog before washing him or her. By doing so the stink is pretty much limited to their head. Then I just use cheap shampoo designed for humans and the garden hose to rinse. The smell lingers for a couple days but is not unbearable by any means. Whatever you do don't let them inside to rub the oil all over the carpet and furniture. The house will smell for a long time.

My "genius" dog's tend to actually attack the skunk so it's pretty much everywhere! My coondog/mut is the worst as he just doesn't seem to care! It's so bad it makes your eyes water - and he is just as happy as a clam. I swear he kills it and then rolls all over it. As I understand it there is something with the acids in the tomoto juice that cuts the oil as you called it. Yep he stays outside until its time for the bath. I swear he's got "drain bramage"!

Ok MO it's not skunk related but every time you mention the barracuda. Heart's song "Barracuda" keeps going through my mind. Not that it's a bad song I just can't get rid of it.

Ok MO it's not skunk related but every time you mention the barracuda. Heart's song "Barracuda" keeps going through my mind. Not that it's a bad song I just can't get rid of it.

Great song, and it fits Me and the Mrs to a Tee! Its about a young Nancy Wilson who's mother does not want her to run away with a guy she barely knows. Or maybe that was Magic Man? I forget! Probably some horn dog that was in and out of jail, smoking dope, drinking........wait a minute, that sound awful familiar!:eek:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkitLUbeEg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great song, and it fits Me and the Mrs to a Tee! Its about a young Nancy Wilson who's mother does not want her to run away with a guy she barely knows. Probably some horn dog that was in and out of jail, smoking dope, drinking........wait a minute, that sound awful familiar!:eek:

Everyone's got a song, I always way told I had 2. ZZ Tops Beer drinkers & Sammy Hagars, I can't drive 55

Last edited:
When I hear Mo talk about the Baraccuda......this is what comes to mind:

Rock on! (those videos of ZZ Top remind me of Stu.....or the Ludens Brothers....grin)

yall are some charectors haha

Yep......that's my wife! Beer Drinking and a Hell Raising Barracuda!:D

Tomato juice is the old school way to remove the smell. My 100lb shepherd got it a couple of years ago. Fortunately I was ready with this concoction:

Skunk Stink Removal Recipe

In a plastic bucket (not metal), mix the following ingredients thoroughly:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (Ivory is recommended)

For very large pets you can double the recipe (recommended) or you can add one quart of lukewarm tap water to provide complete coverage.

Wash your dog thoroughly, working the solution deep into the fur. Make sure you really saturate the areas where she took the direct hits. Your nose knows.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of her eyes, as it can sting. Keeping a bottle of pure water nearby to rinse the eyes is a good idea.

Leave the solution on for at least 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. You may need to rinse and repeat with some of the more stinky areas.

After you’re done, thoroughly rinse your pet with lukewarm water.

The above worked great, I took the pooch to one of those dog washes (built into a car wash) and had him pretty stink free by the time I got home.

I keep the ingredients at the ready both at home and the cabin. Fortunately with 3 dogs I've only had 1 time I needed it. But its probably only a matter of time before I need it again.

-John

Gasoline is reported to cut the oils too, but I haven't tried it.

Gasoline is reported to cut the oils too, but I haven't tried it.
Don't smoke or you will have a Hot Dog.

I stopped smoking cigarettes in '97 and haven't had a cigar in 6 months. :)

I have a world class skunk property and I also use live traps. I think you might want to start setting the traps a little farther away from your house since I can't see that one ending well. I know from experience what happens when you catch a skunk in a live trap close to your house. I can also tell you what happens when you catch a skunk in a barn. That also was a really bad idea. I've caught at least a dozen skunks in live traps in the past 2 years and they all spray eventually. What I've learned is that most of the time if you shoot them in the head when they're in the trap that you sometimes have about 10 seconds before their muscles relax before they spray or ooze out the scent. I try to set the traps next to a pre-dug hole so I can pop them in the head with a .22 and quickly roll the skunk out of the trap and into the hole. I try to have them covered in dirt before the scent oozes out. That works about 1/2 the time and the other 1/2 they contract and start spraying as soon as they're shot. If you come up with a scent-free way to deal with skunks in live traps, please share it with the rest of us.

We have caught many, they never spray. I never shoot them either. I have a 20' piece of rebar with a hook on the end. I pull the trap over to the creek and take them swimming! If they do spray when they are under water it flows to the neighbors. Couple hours later they rest in the swamp!:D

Sleep'n with the fishes!