Silver maple????

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Hello
What is the skinny on silver maple?

my scarlet oaks failed miserably and I am thinking of planting silver maple seeds in the pre existing tubes?

Thanks

They are fast growers, but very messy, and spread like crazy. I have seen deer eat the seeds, but I have no clue how much nutrition is in them for them.

I wouldnt want to plant any in my yard, or where you dont want a million maple trees groing. For instance, I had one fairly big one in my yard, one year we hauled out 2 1/4 pick up loads of the seeds from my yard, from the one tree. It isnt that bad every year, but probably a good pickup full at least every year.

I plan on using them where the ground floods. I will limit the use by the house.

Thanks

Silver maples are NOTORIOUS for wind / snow damage. Very prone to limbs breaking.
If you don't want "helicopter" seeds - but want fast growth - try a newer cultivar of red maple like "Autmn Spire", or "Sun Valley". Both of those are male clones that produce no seeds. I have an Autumn Spire growing in our front yard. No seeds, GREAT fall color, fast growth, not nearly as prone to limb breakage as silver maples. Shapes itself into an upright oval canopy. Check out either / both varieties online. Autumn Spire came from a seed source in Minnesota, winter hardy.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I am using the silver’s it where I hope to graze cattle. It’s flooded during good irrigation years. And the seeds were free

I also am concerned about red maple and equine toxicity.

Silver maples are extremely messy. They drop a lot of branches and limbs, and practically fall apart as they get older. And they get HUGE.

We have a large one 20yrs down here in Texas. Beautiful tree. No problem with dropping branches but its probably not at the age yet. One negative thing. We really have to slow down mowing because of the roots. They are everywhere above the surface. They will throw your back out on a riding mower. Don't know about for deer. Its in the yard at our property. you guys are right about the seeds. There's a shit ton every year. We have a bird bath under the tree. Great cover for the birds. Even the hummingbirds like it for cover. Super great shade tree.
If we left our farm alone for 5 years, the yard area would be a silver maple forest.

I burn cotton wood now.

Hopfully I live long enough to burn silver maple I am planting