Should deer drives be a legal hunting method?

We have done them almost every year. But never have enough people to be real effective at our place in MN anymore. We drive strips of uncombined corn fields we leave just for the purpose of holding deer. We take 36 rows and leave 36 rows all the way across the field. You can catch the deer in there the last weekend and have some good shooting. We always leave someone back, because every year, one nice buck always comes out the back end. For some reason they stay put and let the drivers walk by and then try to boogie out the back door. Pretty smart dem bucks, but so are we!:)

If you added up all the hunting strategies, techniques, equipment, etc. that somebody wants to ban because they don't like it, think it affects their hunt, is unethical, that wounds deer, gives unfair advantage...we wouldn't have any hunting at all. Let's start the list. Baiting, food plots, hunting with dogs, tracking with dogs, decoys, scents, treestands, long bows, recurve bows, compound bows, cross bows, mechanical broadheads, muzzleloaders, sabots, roundballs, inlines, flintlocks, 22 calibers, .30-30s, anything less than 30 cal, magnums, anything larger than a 7mm-08, lever actions, single shots, semi autos, hand guns, shotguns, buckshot, neck shots, head shots, running shots, road hunting, 100 yard shots, 200 yard shots, anything over 300 yard shots, kids hunting, women hunting, shooting does, shooting young bucks, shooting trophy bucks, outfitters and guides, Sunday hunting, hunting leases, out of state hunters...
and driving deer.

LOL. There's a good number in that list all ready illegal or banned.

LOL. There's a good number in that list all ready illegal or banned.
As far as I know, those are all legal in some states.

first cousin weddings are legal and common in Wisconsin. you good with that tradition?

Legal is one thing, and I don't know what it's like up in the NE corner of WI where you're at NOFO,:eek: but "common"?o_O Not in my neck of the woods(unless you're Amish of course)!

first cousin weddings are legal and common in Wisconsin. you good with that tradition?
I almost spit my coffee out. Now that is funny!

Ranks right up there with running dogs IMO. That said I grew up in a bow hunting only household and the club dad was a member of was also bow only. For frame of reference he got in that club in 1969, 10 guys shooting stick bows.

Opinions on what should or should not be legal, I feel, are strongly influenced by ones experiences. My preference would be no dogs or no drives because I really fail to see how either could be considered fair chase. That said, I know full well they are both time honored traditions in hunting so as much as I disapprove I would not support an outright ban but could support limiting the opportunity on public ground to say the last weekend of season or similar.

I really fail to see how either could be considered fair chase. That said, I know full well they are both time honored traditions in hunting
Cavemen have been doing both for 50,000+ years, so I would have to say hunting with the use of dogs and driving animals are both fair chase and time honored. Even though I have never hunted deer, bear, or mt. lions with dogs, I have hunted just about every other animal or bird that can be hunted with them and when it comes down to it, it is just as much about hunting said animal/bird WITH your dog or pack of dogs than it is about just hunting the animal itself. Oh, and many of those same cavemen used poison tipped spear points and arrows as well. It's not like anyone who partakes in these "fringe" hunting methods is doing anything that hasn't been done for a long, long, long time. To each his own within the confines of the individual laws, and who am I to say they are wrong or that my way is better?