Shooting stick preference

Just looked on the inter web. I guess Primos is making the product described above. Not sure of the quality these days.....as I have not looked at them in a long time. I've got no skin in the game one way or another. ;) Here's the Cabelas page on 'em: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos-reg-Polecat-Rapid-Pivot-Bipod/1613980.uts

Kinda funny.....as I was reading reviews.....somebody broke their yoke??? o_Oo_Oo_O NEVER happened when I made those parts. That cross-linked polymer we used was so tough you could not pull it apart with a jack-hammer. I know some of the locks were failing too. Just grinds me to see "my baby" all butchered up that way. Everyone making stuff has problems.....but some things seem inexcusable. :(

Rant over. :)

Last edited:
foggy, how do those compare pricewise with the ones made from quality materials? Does the cheapening of the materials drop the price significantly over what it cost to make one with quality materials, or is it relative to the amount of profit they want to stick in their own pockets?

foggy, how do those compare pricewise with the ones made from quality materials? Does the cheapening of the materials drop the price significantly over what it cost to make one with quality materials, or is it relative to the amount of profit they want to stick in their own pockets?

That's the sad thing. The price is typically mere pennies on many of the components. Yes, pennies add up....but not enough to compromise the quality IMO. Some of these companies just are not up to speed and cannot work with the good materials or don't want to stock another polymer or some other lame reason.

Many of these products are copy-cat marketers that don't know the difference and go to asia for a knock off or to develop their products with current will-fit goods....that may not be intended for the hunting market, etc. Oftentimes they don't recognize the importance of the higher quality....it's just short term results they need. Yeah....you can save a few dimes in the manufacturing....but you pay for it in merchandise returns and lost sales ten times over.

The better brands have that figured out.....but all these wanna-be competitors come around with a lower priced item (you can't beat the established product with a higher price) and take market share away and blow up the market so bad that there is no motivation for anyone to make a good product (or seemingly so anyway). I never reached down to compete with the low-priced market. I figured it was a losing proposition. But that is where the "numbers" are.....and those purchasing agents want lower prices.

What about the military? They must get better quality items from somewhere. Do these higher end manufactures exist for the general public.

What about the military? They must get better quality items from somewhere. Do these higher end manufactures exist for the general public.

Well....there's never been any official military shorting sticks. There are some mil spec bipods, but shooting sticks are not mil spec. I have sold a number of snipers shooting sticks and I'm told some were used in sniper situations.....but they bought them via their military CC. Some of those items are just situational needs. I spoke to several military brass about sticks....but nothing ever materialized except that said above.

Just as there are no reloading tools for military types.....but the snipers may reload to gain accuracy.....and buy things via their military cc. (As I understand it.) ;)

I see......... For what it's worth I have three of the Stoney Point "pole cat" shooting sticks that I use all the time for everything. I like the little track it makes in the mud.

Hope they worked for you Buckly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice and thanks for sharing. The sling stud on the Barnett wouldn't work with that mount. It has a picatinny rail, so I may look for something that will mount on it. I like the idea of being able to have multiple lengths and quick on and off. Unfortunately I don't think it exists.

I think will just try to find a bipod. Are those Primos Triggers sticks any good?

Didn't see your question till now.....was too busy with my rant on quality. ;)

I did look at those Primos Trigger Sticks the other day when I was in Fleet. I see they now have a new generation of trigger sticks. The early ones certainly did not impress me.....and all I saw was slippage and poor product quality. Those were NOT designed by me....and I had no connection with Primos.....so I really don't have any understanding of what goes into them.

I have always heard they were noisy, heavy and unreliable. The new design seemed to cover some of those bases. For blind use in an easy hunting situation they may hold up pretty we'll and fit the bill. Not sure if I would take them west or to go shoot Cecil the lion tho. ;) Some cool features....if they work and last. :)

Reactions: EOB