Shooting stick preference

EOB

5 year old buck +
Mono, Bi or Tri -pod what do you prefer?

I am looking for a shooting rest for my daughter to use with a cross bow or gun. Will be using it in both a portable ground blind and elevated box blind.

Moving from one window to the next will be necessary. I'm leaning towards a bipod, thinking the third leg of tripod could easily get in the way and kicked by feet.

Last edited:
Foggy should be able to help on this one!

Hey EOB. I used to make 'em for TenPoint and other uses too. Ten Point only offered a monopod tho. Last season, I installed a bipod on my ten point crossbow and I like it allot. I can have short or tall legs with it.....so I can shoot it "bench rest" style.....or out of a box blind - depending on which leg lenth I install.

I will try to snap a couple of pics to show this to you. You would not be able to buy this.....but I could scrounge enough parts here to make ONE or TWO of these units if you like it.

I'll post my pics on this thread later today. I was going to try to sell the idea to ten point....but they won't return my call (?). Too bad....it's a really nice design. :D

OH....and my bipod would snap onto or off of a sling swivel stud. I was able to fit one to an existing screw on a Ten Point. Not sure what brand you have???

In any event......I would go with a bipod for a young shooter for use in a box blind. More stable than a monopod.......and your right about the room on a third leg....IMO.

Thanks I look forward to seeing what you have. The crossbow is a Barnett Raptor FX. It has sling stud but it is molded into stock.

d8feda42f67414ccab5c911834a7c17a.jpg

5f5f67d5d1d4f3dce5fc7b2f786b9cbe.jpg

b6dc508ecb2efb0fb7c86ebacd1cd2bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The above pics show my detachable bipod on my crossbow with the sitting / standing legs. I also have legs that work from a shooting bench - to zero the bipod scope. The last pic shows the design that allows releasing the bipod from the sling stud.....via a semi-permanent bipod attachment "stud". This allows the metal yoke to quickly snap into place....and it can swivel. Attached to the swivel yoke....is a hard, rubber-like material that is both flexible and attaches the legs. This allows complete freedom to aim the rifle or crossbow in any direction.

The design has been out for some period of time to fit rifles.....but never seen it adapted to a crossbow. I made a special bolt that allows mine to attach to the ten point. All of this configuration was my original design(s).....but it's getting to be some years now since I did this.

I'm not even certain if the product is being offered any longer. I made the Patent under the Stoney Point name....then, Uncle Mikes sold some.....then Bushnell.....then Primos......and it got a bit gummed up along the way. (enough said ;) )

The neat part is that you can put these "stud adaptors" on any or all your rifles, bows.....and then have a set of legs that will attach / detach to any of 'em.

I like the flexibility - yet rigidity - of the yoke. :)

d87f70277bc6b5808c4b612c30c7f56f.jpg

I thing this pic will show the differs leg types and lengths that could be attached to the stud. Monopod, bipod, tripod......sitting, standing,bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can I find something like that for a rifle? I need a good set of sticks for Montana elk hunt this year.

Also, lots of low-priced shooting sticks in bipod fashion are now "out there".

Where can I find something like that for a rifle? I need a good set of sticks for Montana elk hunt this year.
Lets have coffee. ;)

Also, lots of low-priced shooting sticks in bipod fashion are now "out there".
Yeah and about 99% of them are pure crap! The stuff I'm looking at in the above posts looks like the quality "stuff".

My little brother in WY would love to have some quality sticks and "universal" mounts to use on his and my nephews varmint and big game rifles. Where does a guy get this high quality stuff again. I was wondering if Rain Dance Industries was going to start producing them in limited quantities again?

Lets have coffee. ;)
I just took some money from the natives down by Granite Falls and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Your stuff looks ten times better than anything I've seen lately!

My little brother in WY would love to have some quality sticks and "universal" mounts to use on his and my nephews varmint and big game rifles. Where does a guy get this high quality stuff again. I was wondering if Rain Dance Industries was going to start producing them in limited quantities again?

Nope, he took the money and ran off. Those other boys don't play fair.....and think they know too much.....like how to save .01 or .02 with lower quality plastic parts. HAHAHAHAHAHA. ;)

Grinds me to no-end when I see some of the stuff that has hit the market.....it all just breaks....junk. I used to put our parts in a vice and smash them with a 5 lb hammer.......to make sure they could withstand real world hunting situations, etc. It was fun to demo against the other crap. :D

Now, it seems it's all junk.....and a price point.

I just took some money from the natives down by Granite Falls and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Your stuff looks ten times better than anything I've seen lately!

Are you working in Baxter tomorrow? I could stop by if you have time. Say 10 AM??

I'm here all week. How about I buy you some lunch, I'm not much of a coffee drinker. Black Bear has some good food.

Very nice and thanks for sharing. The sling stud on the Barnett wouldn't work with that mount. It has a picatinny rail, so I may look for something that will mount on it. I like the idea of being able to have multiple lengths and quick on and off. Unfortunately I don't think it exists.

I think will just try to find a bipod. Are those Primos Triggers sticks any good?

I'm here all week. How about I buy you some lunch, I'm not much of a coffee drinker. Black Bear has some good food.

Yep, lets do lunch. 12:00 or ? I will come to you office or meet at BB?

Meet me at BB at 12:00 tomorrow. Thanks Tom.

Every now and then.....I get the urge to get back into the game and show some folks how it could be done. I do have a novel idea in mind that somebody could likely exploit. It's not easy to penetrate this market these days....but the right guy can still get it done. There is just so many product out there now to compete against. When I started the shooting stick biz.....I was pretty much the lone supplier of such stuff.....and some of the guys laughed at such an idea. o_O Then they quit laughing and started making 'em too. ;)